Countries without Christmas?

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by Traduim, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Traduim Junior Member

Spain - Spanish and Catalan
    I wonder if anyone here know about countries or cultures which do not celebrate Christmas at all.

I mean no Santa, no Christmas trees, no Ben-Hur and The 10 Commandments on TV...

2. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Islamic countries... Communist China...
    LN

3. Tomas Robinson

Tomas Robinson Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    USA, English & Spanish
    Think "non-Christian" countries ;)

Happy holidays! :)

4. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    I was reading something about that......i know that in non Christian cultures they do not celebrate, but in the United States, several members of other religions have non Christmas related celebrations at this time of year simply because it is one of the few times that they have no work/school

5. Tomasoria Senior Member

Spanish
    Hey Josep, the Ten Commandments and the Ben-Hur thing is always on T.V for Easter. In Xmas time is Mr.Scrooche and Raphael singing El TAMBOLIRERO (what a torture...¡¡¡).

Does anyone here hate Xmas??? as for me, I think that EL Corte Inglés, Harrod's and Galeries lafayette are making me hate Xmas...

Mary Krismas...

6. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    speaking of Scrooge......
    How did the term "xmas" originate?? I hear/use it a lot.

7. Lems

Lems Senior Member

São Paulo
    Brazil - Brazilian Portuguese
    Every time I see your nick and avatar I salivate remebering the delicious cream cheese La Vache que Ri... :D

BTW, looking at your location made me salivate again, now for another brand... :D :D

About the Xmas term, take a look here.

Lems

8. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Hi, all of you.
    I am from Saudi Arabia.
    any question about celebrations?
    thank you

9. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    More on the use of Xmas from howstuffworks.com:

According to the book Did you ever Wonder... by Jeff Rovin, the word for Christ in Greek is Xristos. The use of the shortened form "Xmas" became popular in Europe in the 1500s.

The word Xmas is so common in advertising most likely because "Xmas" and "sale" have the same number of letters, and "Xmas" is significantly shorter than Christmas.

Merry Christmas!
    Lsp

10. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Hah ;) ;) ;) Thanks Lems!!

11. Janna82 Senior Member

Jordan/Arabic, English
    Hi everyone, I'm from Jordan which is a non-christian country :)
    Anyway about your question, in the middle east, it differs from country to another, and it depends whether there are christians in the country or not, here in Jordan, a proportion of our population is christian, so though it's not a Christian country, when walking around in the country you would see many manifestations of Celebration, like Christmas trees, Santa..... But since the country as a whole is not Christian, we would only take the 25th Dec off of work and schools, but of course christians are allowed to be away for more than that. So, basically there is something different about the country during this season, but celebrating Christmas here is not like in other Christian countries

Cheers :)

12. tintinnabulum_m Junior Member

Ontario, Canada
    China, Mandarin
    Well, talk about the countries without Christmas, the most populated country in the world - China - does not celebrate Christmas. People do know about Christmas, they may say something like merry Christmas to each other, but they never do treat it as a holiday. I think Chirstmas day (or maybe the day before or after depending on the year) is also an exam day for many Chinese student. Junior High school student are tested on so-called "little subjects", which are the subjects other than English, Chinese, Math, Chemistry, and Physics. This may change now though, I haven't been in China for several years...

13. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Janna, that's interesting, I didn't know your country had the 25th as a holyday. What happens in mixed schools? Is it compulsory to allow Christian people days off?

14. Avalon Junior Member

California, USA
    Philippines, English
    what about israel?

15. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    The country of Nazareth and Bethlehem, of course Israel has Christmas!

16. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Maybe you'd like to read this :)

17. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    But there is Christmas in Israel, more so this year than in the recent past, from what I've read. I wonder when this script was written, and how, in the birthplace of Jesus, they are so disappointed about not "feeling like Christmas." If they wanted to be "gathered around the tree exchanging gifts. The CD player would be serenading us with holiday cheer, a cup of hot cider or egg nog and a fire crackling in the fireplace," they could have stayed home (wherever that may be)!

18. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Doesn't Israel have more Jewish people than Christian people? Wouldn't that mean that Christmas wouldn't be a big thing over there?
    I may be wrong.....

19. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    The founders of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all semitic. Each religion is deeply rooted in Israel, even though the percentages of the population are not distributed evenly.

20. krumholtz New Member

Israel Hebrew
    Jesus was born and died as a good Jew, so were the apostles. the day of his circumcision is actualy the day christians celebrate the begining of a new year, that mean, on the 8'th days from his bearth. It is right that not many christians are in Israel, but since Jesus was born here in Israel, the Xmas have a special significance here. Just to remind you, for the Jews the Messiah didnt arrive yet and no one knows if he was born lately, so they have to wait with their celebrations till he comes.
    Happy New Gregorian Year!

21. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Ah, thanks for your input!

22. Janna82 Senior Member

Jordan/Arabic, English
    the Dec 25th and Jan 1st is a holiday in our country because of the population which consists of some christians, in other middle eastern countries, like Lebanon for example, where the population consists of a larger number of christians than here in Jordan, and since the country as a whole is a christian country, they would take a longer christmas holiday than here... and regarding mixed schools........... well, most of the time, christian students or workers would take more than one day as a holiday to celebrate their feast

23. Janna82 Senior Member

Jordan/Arabic, English
    Well about Israel, the israelis are mostly jewish as i believe, and the christians in Bethlehem and Nazareth are arabs, and yes of course they celebrate christmas, and there are certain prayers in Christmas eve, and I believe you all know that the most ancient and holy churches are there :)

24. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Yes, but what I meant is: is there a law about holidays? Or is it just left at your boss's discretion?

25. Janna82 Senior Member

Jordan/Arabic, English
    the law only gives one day, and actually it's changeable from one establishment to another, and depending on managers, if there is a big number of christians working in one establishment, and the absence of all of them would affect the work, half of them would take for example the 26th and the other half would take the 27th, but if the christians are not the largest proportion of the establishment, all of them would take the 26th.

26. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Thank you, Janna :)

27. Janna82 Senior Member

Jordan/Arabic, English
    Very glad to help :) Anytime :thumbsup:

28. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Just in case anyone was wondering........80% if Israelis are Jewish
    2% are Christian
    16% are Muslim
    as of 1998

29. flurk New Member

Belgium - Dutch/French/German/English
    Don't want to seem picky, but the brand is actually called "La vache qui rit"
    qui = who
    que = what
    3rd person singular of the verb "rire" (to laugh) is "rit". The form "ri" is the perfect tense, as in: j'ai ri (I have laughed)

30. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    The cow who laughed......hmmmm...if I ever go to Belgium/France I will have to try some!

31. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Not exactly

Le mot que tu m'a dit = object
    Le mot qui semble le plus adéquat = subject

32. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    It is delicious, and it is sold at all the grocery stores, look around if you aren't going to Belgium/France for a while.

33. amenrah0303

amenrah0303 Banned

mexico spanish english
    hi, i saw your letter in the forum. just wanna ask, do you also celebrate christmas and new year? my sister is working there in saudi arabia and she told me that they are not allowed to celebrate these two, is she right?:)

34. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Really! On the eastcoast? I'm goin shoppin!!!

35. Avalon Junior Member

California, USA
    Philippines, English
    oh, when i posted "what about israel?" i didn't mean that to be a question, but rather, an answer. it is a predominantly jewish country, so i guess they don't celebrate christmas, since christmas day is supposed to be the day that us christians celebrate jesus' birthday.

36. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Christain of non Christian, people are happy to take time off (for Christmas all kids get off school)

37. ABSURDO Junior Member

vigo
    Spain and Spanish
    personally i hate christsmas time, i think it was an invention of the white protestant anglosaxon part of the world. unfortunately that people is actually reigning the worlds fate

38. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    They were all out at my local grocery store...must be good...now I really can't wait!