1. sarahmarie New Member

English, England (living in Montpellier, France)
    hi,

I'm translating an article from French to English about the Beaujolais nouveau, and am unsure as to how to translate the title:

Coup d'envoi pour le Beaujolais nouveau 2005

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

2. cyb

cyb Senior Member

Paris
    French, France
    launching for ....

3. sarahmarie New Member

English, England (living in Montpellier, France)
    thanks, that would make sense!

4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Literaly, le coup d'envoi is the kick-off at the beginning of a football match.
    In French, it can take on a figurative meaning : the launching of any particular event (as cyb wrote).
    As far as I know, it's got the same extended meaning in English, e.g. the kick-off of the beach replenishment project.

5. Pipsy Senior Member

Londres/London
    English
    Old thread, but: I'd translate it as the "go-ahead" because kick-off doesn't make sense in this context :)

6. Recent_Runes Senior Member

Sussex, England
    British English ♂
    Well, I think "kick-off" is used quite widely in a figurative sense for the start of all kinds of events.

Also, "to get the go-ahead" means receiving the approval to proceed in principle, rather than the actual moment of the start signified by "coup d'envoi".

7. Pipsy Senior Member

Londres/London
    English

True, actually :) I was just reading an article in Le Monde now about Sarko giving the "coup d'envoi" to a proposed reform, which most certainly isn't "kick off" in this context as it's proposed... and would be more of a "go ahead" so I think it can mean either depending on the context.

8. berg Junior Member

English - Canada
    Just stumble on this thread, and thought I'd add my two cents.

I definitely prefer "kick off" in the above mentioned context because "go ahead" is more abstract and used in decision making. Kick off is closer to launch, I think.