1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. jean-y New Member


    I have to translate a text, where there is a few technical tennis terms.

    "Un coup" would be "a stroke"?


    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Omelette

    Omelette Senior Member

    UK English
    Yes, it is correct
    If you go to ‘resources’, chose ‘sport’ and then‘dictionnaire bilingue du sport’, you will find every tennis term you could possibly want.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. tellect Senior Member

    Comment analyseriez-vous la différence entre "shot" et "stroke" dans le domaine du tennis ?
  4. Kelly B

    Kelly B Senior Member

    USA English
    For me, stroke emphasizes the player's action, while shot emphasizes where the ball goes.
    Edited to add: there are times when neither word is necessary. Par exemple, pour coup droit on peut dire tout simplement forehand: ce mot peut servir comme nom, non seulement en adjectif qui modifierait coup.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. tellect Senior Member

    Merci Kelly B. Cela recoupe tout à fait ce que je pensais.

Share This Page