1. DeeFine Senior Member

france / french
    I cannot find any satisfactory translation or equivalent for the 'cracker-barrel'.
    Here is the sentence : "... humour in the Davy Crockett and Eastern craker-barrel traditions".
    Thanks for your help.

2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    A "cracker barrel" was a permanent fixture in the "General Store" of past eras. It was the place around which the folk would gather to gossip.

3. thomasdroulin Senior Member

Craker'barrel refers to a stereotype name for a white person sometimes but but in your case, I think it means something rural, homespun
    so maybe " des traditions d'un autre age" could work
    or " des traditions dépassées".

4. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Cracker-barrel philosophy = philosophie du café du commerce.

Cracker-barrel suggère : traditionnel, fait maison, simple et sans chichis, sans recherche...

5. DeeFine Senior Member

france / french
    Thanks a lot for your help (translation and origin). The word is quite interesting. Culture-rooted expressions tend to resist translation.

6. thomasdroulin Senior Member

Yes, and we can't translate it literally....
    Cracker Barrel used to be a restaurant, it still exists though, with a country style
    But the expression can mean a lot of things, it's also used to describe a white woman with a very large bottom...
    So, it depends on the context....

7. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    "café du commerce"

8. thomasdroulin Senior Member

"café du commerce", " café du coin", " traditions de comptoir", to mean they're old and quite old-fashioned

9. iosonolobo Senior Member

California
    USA English
    I'm not sure of the origin of that meaning, but in the US, it is "cracker" that is the stereotypical name for a white person. The origin comes from the sound of the whip being "cracked" («craquement») by the slave owner.

A funny Urban Dictionary definition for "cracker barrel" is derived from this: "a large wooden structure filled with old white people". (I don't make this up.)

10. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I think we have two quite distinct meanings here, but that the context of the original quote makes it clear that it is the rural, homespun, traditions de comptoir that are referred to. Nothing to do with race.

(Nor indeed with Christmas novelties, dry biscuits, fireworks, oil refineries or stunning beauties - other irrelevant meanings of cracker.)

11. iosonolobo Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Oui, Keith. Vous avez raison. Je n'ai pas l'intention de causer de la confusion sur l'expression "cracker barrel". Mais la Urban Dictionary peut être très drôle parfois.