1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

craptastic

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by The Lord of Gluttony, May 27, 2013.

1. The Lord of Gluttony Senior Member

Earth
    Turkish
    Term: craptastic

Your definition or explanation: Intended to be perceived as fantastic, but actually of extremely poor quality.

Example(s):

We also received a new logo for products that are craptastic to the nth power. Behold the Lick Ass award.
    Source: 2000, Maximum PC, Vol. 5, No. 9 (September 2000), Link

So far I'm loving this game. Its nice to be back in the tunnels again. Also I don't feel like it was a wasted purchase like that craptastic BioShock infinite.
    A website called Overclock.net Forums, from a message on their message board (Link, Post 500)

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? I have looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it. WordReference Dictionary does not have any definition for this word, but Wiktionary has one.

2. leahcar

leahcar New Member

England
    English - British
    This is an interesting, albeit informal and slightly obscene term that I have sometimes noticed.
    The blend of the two opposite adjectives is quite clever. If this adjective gets more recognition, then I don't see why it can't make it into a dictionary as slang.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    It's in The Online Slang Dictionary, where they've really gone overboard with the definitions [/irony]. To me it means 'gloriously, spectacularly bad'.

4. dgher New Member

Romania
    Romanian
    I guess it's short for "fantastic crap", as in: That game was just fantastic crap. Or am I wrong?

5. nodnol Senior Member

English UK
    'Gloriously, spectacularly bad' (post 3) matches my idea of the phrase better than 'Intended to be perceived as fantastic, but actually of extremely poor quality.' (post 1). I would also add that I think the idea is 'spectacularly missing the mark, extremely disappointing/ below expectation.' But frankly that is just my speculation as someone who is not very familiar with the phase.

6. superflashyhexagon New Member

English - British
    To my mind the "fantastic crap" definition is closest. As I understand it and have heard it used, it doesn't mean something is pretending/intended to be fantastic but is actually crap. It's more that it is such utter crap. I've heard this -tastic suffix appended to other words in exactly the same way, to indicate an extreme of the thing, e.g. 'camptastic', 'gaytastic', 'shagtastic'. The Urban Dictionary is pretty spot on with this one: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tastic