1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. planetiss New Member

France, French
    Bonjour,

Ma question est simple et compliqué... Je voudrais savoir qu'est ce qu'une crazy bitch dans la culture américaine. Je connais des américaines qui se vantent d'etre des crazy bitches mais je ne comprend pas la signification.

Merci

Note des modérateurs : nous avons fusionné plusieurs discussions pour créer ce fil.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. marcolettici Senior Member

California
    English U.S.
    You're right, it's complicated. :)

A bitch used to be a bad thing. Now it's a badge some women wear with a certain amount of pride. Someone who stands up for herself, is tough, is unconstrained by petty gender rules. A crazy bitch is the above, plus impulsive, fun, unafraid to take chances.

BUT, you have to be careful. Someone who calls herself that with pride is one thing. It can also be a very disparaging thing to say and could land you in a lot of trouble if you used it in the wrong context with the wrong person.

3. Mtrain17

Mtrain17 Senior Member

Queens, NY
    English-USA
    Ce sont les femmes qui vont en boîte tout le temps et se soûlent beaucoup et sont très odieuses. En général, leurs sacs à main coûtent cher.

Un exemple: Paris Hilton

Méfiez-vous d'elles! [...]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  4. planetiss New Member

France, French
    Ok, je vois maintenant :D Merci pour vos réponses.

5. elwaldman Junior Member

NY, US
    American English
    @Mtrain17- I disagree.

Marcollecici got more of the meaning of it, in my opinion. It's a term that can be used in a very negative way to describe a woman- who is maybe vindictive, powerful, or uncompromising. But is also something women can say jokingly about themselves or even pride themselves on. It's about taking back the negative power of the phrase and turning it into something powerful in a positive way.

6. steviesouris Senior Member

Yeah, bitch is one of those words that can be negative or positive depending on context... but these WR Forums are bitchin'... (that's a compliment -- though a bit 70's)

7. akaAJ Senior Member

New York
    American English, Yiddish
    Note the difference in tone, as discussed above:
    Woman to woman: "Man [or Girl], you are one crazy bitch" :thumbsup: [caution]
    Man to woman: "I'm gonna straighten you out, you crazy bitch." :thumbsdown:

8. amg8989 Senior Member

USA
    English-United Sates
    another way I see the term "Crazy Bitch" depending on tone and usage, is one of expressing eccentricity.

also important to denote is that sometimes "bitch" is almost used in affectionate/endearing way, as weird as it sounds. So, if someone was already referring to someone as "bitch," adding the "Crazy" in front of it is a clear way to state the obvious---they think they're acting crazy.

-"Did you hear what Monica did last weekend?"
    -"No girl, what'd she do this time?
    -"Get this, she went to South Africa, jumped out of a plane, went bungee jumping, swam with the sharks, repelled down a cliff, and got drunk at a bunch of wineries."
    -"Ha, what a crazy bitch, she's always living in the moment."

*In this scenario, the usage of bitch kind of implies jealousy. She's a friend, but because she got to do all of that stuff, they refer to her as a bitch, [lucky bitch!] but once again, in a playful way.

All together this is complicated and has many nuances based on tone and phrasing with other things.....

9. Mtrain17

Mtrain17 Senior Member

Queens, NY
    English-USA
    Elwaldman-I disagree with you. Most women in New York City who call themselves this are absolutely obnoxious and disrespectful towards others. Of course, it can be used in a joking fashion but in popular american culture among women who are my age, they are generally annoying. Marcollecici, no offense to him, is an older man, if you spent a minute with a woman who would call herself something like that and go out to the bar every other day, you'd agree with me.

10. akaAJ Senior Member

New York
    American English, Yiddish
    Mtrain17, somehow I doubt that you know "[M]ost women in New York City who call themselves [crazy bitch]", nor that they routinely drink themselves silly and insult all who encounter them, nor indeed, the level of tolerance ("a minute") of others. Why all the vehemence ???

For clarification: the woman-to-woman example I gave refers to doing something daring, which could as easily be telling her boss to go to hell as going bungee-jumping. The [caution-in-use] was meant to indicate that it could be used in admiration, in friendly caution at a possibly risky action, or, negatively, as an insult, depending on the circumstances, the relationship, and the tone of voice.

11. steviesouris Senior Member

The above heated exchange shows just how ambiguous "crazy bitch" can be. It's all context and intonation.

12. Xavier11222 Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    Also goes to show how we at the WR forum are crazy mo*** f*****rs - which raises the question: can crazy bitch be used as the feminine equivalent of crazy mo' fo'? Its denotation not limited to that, but I feel that the equivalency makes the range of use a little more apparent.

13. marcolettici Senior Member

California
    English U.S.
    I think they actually could be pretty equivalent terms, either in spite of or because of my age... at this age, I can't be sure which. ;)

14. elwaldman Junior Member

NY, US
    American English
    @ "crazy mofo" and "crazy bitch"... They are pretty equivalent terms. Though of course there is some difference, as "crazy bitch" is almost always applied to a woman. When I think about this actually, I hear "crazy bitch" mostly from my gay friends, in the Sassy Gay Friend Ophelia video kind of way (no offense intended, I know it's a stereotype, but in this case, accurate.)

Well, I am 20 years old, female, and live in NY. There are women who are annoying who call each other this... there are also women who are not annoying who call each other this. I personally don't really use it, except very occasionally, jokingly. But, to each their own.

15. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Perhaps as an outsider (male and British) I might comment that, in the end, crazy = eccentric and bitch = irreverend female.

Whether you think this is a compliment or an insult then depends entirely on your viewpoint!

16. Fredddd Senior Member

France
    French
    and would anyone care - or be daring enough - to propose a translation in French. as an insult.
    Pauvre tarée !+ Sale garce !
    mais je ne vois pas une seule expression qui combine les deux
    contexte :
    If you don’t let him go in the next five seconds, you’re going to find out just how crazy I can get.”
    “You can’t do anything to me, you crazy bitch,
    (âge des protagonistes : 17/ high school students/ party late at night/ la fille se traîne une réputation de psychopathe - elle est supposée avoir tué un prof/ le garçon est un BCBG qui se la joue Bad Boy avec un look de boy's band mais cache en réalité un vrai tueur)
    merci de vos suggestions

17. Soleil_Couchant Junior Member

English
    Here is my humble opinion. I'd say ONLY if you are calling yourself a "crazy bitch" may it possibly be a pride thing. Like, "You all better watch out and not cross me because I am one crazy bitch!" Insinuating you are not to be messed with. However, my advice is do NOT call someone else a crazy bitch. Not female to female, nor ESPECIALLY male to female. It is usually disparaging. Unless you're really close with someone and you both joke around using that phrase all the time (or perhaps colloquial like where MTrain lives). Otherwise, there is a high high chance someone will be VERY offended if you say it to them. It suggests that you are a crazy, psycho, unreasonable, out of control and possibly even violent woman. The one who would slash your car's tires if you cheat on her, etc.

Just looking out for you, planetiss. Don't want you going up to someone and calling her a crazy bitch. It won't end well. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  18. Fredddd Senior Member

France
    French
    je devrais peut-être ouvrir une nouvelle discussion parce que, vu le sujet de celle-ci, je n'obtiendrai jamais de traduction, je pense. Je migre donc, si le modérateur me le permet ;)
    and I found all these nuances extremely interesting thanks to all.

19. Fredddd Senior Member

France
    French
    Would anyone care - or be daring enough - to suggest a translation in French. as an insult.
    quelqu'un aurait-il une idée de traduction de ce qui considéré, dans mon contexte, comme une insulte ?
    Pauvre tarée !+ Sale garce ! ou Espèce de détraquée+ espèce de garce ?
    mais je ne vois pas une seule expression qui combine les deux
    contexte :If you don’t let him go in the next five seconds, you’re going to find out just how crazy I can get.”“You can’t do anything to me, you crazy bitch,
    (âge des protagonistes : 17/ high school students/ party late at night/ la fille se traîne une réputation de psychopathe - elle est supposée avoir tué un prof/ le garçon est un BCBG qui se la joue Bad Boy avec un look de boy's band mais cache en réalité un vrai tueur)
    merci de vos suggestions

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  20. Fredddd Senior Member

France
    French
  21. CarlosRapido

CarlosRapido Senior Member

Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    littéralement = chienne enragée, je ne connais pas assez l'argot français pour suggérer un équivalent