1. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Sé que creyente significa believer. La frase que sigue es de un examen pasado:
    Asunción Garcia tiene 36 años, es creyente y enseñaba religón a los niños del colegio público...

she is a 'believer'. In what? Catholicism? God (in general)? Good education for children?

2. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Venezuela / Español
    She is a believer in god, I guess, (and probably catholicism, yes).

Asunción García is 36 years old, is a believer and used to teach religion to the childern in a public school.....
  3. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Thanks, whiskita. I thought that's what it meant, but the literal English translation is far too vague. It should say 'she believes in god' (or whatever).

4. Maeron Senior Member

Mexico City
    Canada, English
    From the Book (DRAE)- creyente: Que cree, especialmente el que profesa determinada fe religiosa. I think in this context you can assume the "determinada fe" to be Christianity. If you came across the word used in a different context, say where a different religion was being talked about, or a text about a country where a different religion predominated, then the context would suggest a different religion.

For "believer", we find more or less the same thing: "1 a : to have a firm religious faith" (Merriam-Webster). It is not uncommon in English, either, to find "believer" used in the same way. "Believer in God" is not quite the same, because many people believe in God, or a god, without professing a particular religion.
  5. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Thanks, Whisky & Maeron.