1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

crickets

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by rusita preciosa, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Term: (A word or expression you have seen in writing)
    crickets

Your definition or explanation:
    silence

Example: (An example of the term in use)
    I have never seen it in print but I hear it used in casual speech all the time

Who would like to volunteer to bake the cupcakes for the charity event? Anyone? Anyone? Crickets. Ok, we can just buy them.

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)
    http://cultureeffect.wordpress.com/...students-worth-celebrating-crickets-crickets/

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes __X__ No ___

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    What an interesting contribution!

Here is another citation that shows its use:

She lamented that through the stressful process of job hunting she has been stood up, emails not returned and sometimes, silence, just crickets. (Grace Boyle on smallhandsbigideas.com Aug. 31, 2010.)

3. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Well, I'm glad to say this is something we share in Spanish (or at least with the Spanish variety I'm more familiar with). :) I think this meaning has something to do with the well-known cinematic sound effect, which has become a commonplace to convey the idea of a (sometimes embarrassing or uncomfortable) silence. This silence occurs after a silly or bad joke. It may also happen when someone suggests or asks for something that their interlocutor don't seem to be willing to do. It marks an interruption in the conversation.

Nice addition, indeed. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Oh. I'm always reinventing the wheel. :(

5. Juan Jacob Vilalta

Juan Jacob Vilalta Senior Member

México
    Español/Francés
    Yes, in Spanish, we say: Cri-cri, cri-cri, when a long silence.

In French: We could hear an angel flying.

(OK, Cagey?)