criminal offense (enhanced)

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by seg, Oct 22, 2012.

1. seg Senior Member

DFW, Texas
    ¡Saludos a todos!

I am translating a Compliance Training Course for a school district. This section deals with drug and alcohol consumption.

A person commits a criminal offense (enhanced) if the person knowingly or intentionally possesses a controlled substance:
    1. In, on, or within 1,000 feet of any real property that is owned, rented, or leased to a school district or a playground; or
    2. On a school bus.

I don't understand what the word "enhanced" means in this sentence.

My attempt: Una persona comete una ofensa criminal (mayor??) si dicha persona a sabiendas o intencionalmente posee una sustancia controlada......

Thank you in advance for your valuable help!!!

2. Hi seg.

"Enhanced" would be essentially the same as "aggravated", and it would refers to a particular circumstance or element that aggravates the fact qualified as a criminal offence, increasing the criminal liability with more severe penal provisions.

Nevertheless, it depends on the regional legal terminology. Thus here in Spain a "criminal offence (enhanced)" would be translated as "delito con la agravante de..." or "delito agravado".

In some legal systems, these aggravating circumstances serve to configure new criminal definitions or even new classifications on the basis of different circumstances applicable to a basic form of criminal offence. Thus, in countries, as for instance Argentina, you can find expressions as "delito calificado".

Depending on the country and its particular legal terminology.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  3. seg Senior Member

DFW, Texas
    Thank you very much! Very helpful! :)