Croatian alphabet question

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by electricmandarine, Apr 28, 2013.

1. electricmandarine New Member

Italian - Italy
    Hi,
    I wanted to ask, to someone whose native language is Croatian, if all the 30 letters or characters found in the standard Croatian language are considered as individual, separate letters in the alphabet, including the diacritics, or not. For example, concerning the diacritical letters ć, č, đ, š and ž: are they treated as letters on their own in the alphabet or are they considered like accented letters in, e.g., Spanish (hence only as variations of the corresponding non-diacritical letters)? This question applies also to the ligatures dž, lj and nj. I read these pages about the alphabet Gaj's Latin alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Croatian language, alphabet and pronunciation, but I'm still not sure.
    Thank you very much for your help.

2. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    Hello.
    Yes, all 30 letters represent different sounds, hence they're considered as individuals. In normal writing, we dont use diacritics to mark stress or length. And also we don't have letters which we don't pronounce (like Italian "h").

3. electricmandarine New Member

Italian - Italy
    Thank you for your quick reply. Could you please confirm that this is the correct alphabetical order: a, b, c, č, ć, d, dž, đ, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, lj, m, n, nj, o, p, r, s, š, t, u, v, z, ž ?
    Thanks again.

4. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    It is. The one I was taught at school. :)