Croatian (BCS) and Slovenian: Diesel

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Normandee, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Normandee Junior Member

English
    I will soon be travelling through Croatia and Slovenia and want to ensure that I only put diesel in my car, not petrol! Can somebody advise me on the relevant words to look out for at Croatian and Slovenian pumps?

Many thanks

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    柴油

Ah, yes, and "Dizel", too. :)

3. Lanmi New Member

Serbian - Serbia
    Just "dizel"
    Petrol is "petrol" most often, and you will probably either get petrol or a question to explain what you mean if you use "benzin"

4. Normandee Junior Member

English
    Thanks, is Dizel the word in both Croatian and Slovenian? Excuse my ignorance but I've travelled across much of the world and have a working knowledge of a few languages but never been to the Balkans!

5. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Yes, it's dizel in both. Regular gasoline (BrE: petrol) is bencin in Slovenian. Petrol in the generic sense is not used at all in Slovenian; it refers solely to a Slovenian oil company.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. el_tigre Senior Member

Orebić
    Croatian(štokavski+čakavski)
    Don't forget that in most gas stations in Croatia use original German spelling "Diesel". So, you will find "Diesel" and "EuroDiesel"

7. Normandee Junior Member

English
    Interesting! What's the difference?

8. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Until recently, two types of diesel were sold: "Eurodizel", fulfilling EU norms for sulphur and CO2 contents, and cheaper "ordinary", "blue" or "D2" diesel, for older trucks and agricultural machinery. The latter is now abolished because of its polutive potential.