Croatian (BCS): Slika u uspomenu 1915 odaslana iz Petrinje u Ameriku

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by munsworth, Jan 3, 2013.

1. munsworth New Member

English
    Hello, I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but I'm hoping for some help understanding some text on the back of an old photograph. My great grandparents were from Zagreb and I recently fond this photograph with some details on the back that I'm guessing are in Croatian. I have been able to translate some of it with google translate, but I wanted to find some help to make sense of it.

This is what Looks like is written on the back:

Llika U
    Uspomenu 1915
    odaslana ih Petrinye
    21 prosinca U
    Americu
    Atonu Pavkovic
    Potiak michigan
    vesem str 285

I got as far as Uspomenu meaning memories and prosinca is December. But some of the other stuff wont translate. My great grandfather's name was Antone Pavkovich and apparently this was taken in pontiac michigan. That's as far as I got.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!! I can attach an image of the back of the photo if that would help.

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Please do attach the image. Some of the text is badly interpreted ("OCR-ed") so it would be easier to have the original at sight. I do recognize some fragments (e.g. "Odaslana ih Petrinye" is actually "Odaslana iz Petrinje" -- "Sent from Petrinja") but others are tougher to decipher.

3. munsworth New Member

English
    Here's the image. The bad interpretation is my fault. It's had to figure out what was written without any knowledge of the language so I did some guessing.

Pavcovitch 2 (2).jpg

That's kind of small. I uploaded it to flickr:
    flickr.com/photos/munsworth/8343180284/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    So, the text reads:

Slika U
    Uspomenu 1915
    odaslana iz Petrinje
    21 prosinca u
    Ameriku
    Atonu Pavković
    Potiak michigan
    Vesen str 285

Which means:

Picture in
    memory of 1915
    sent from Petrinja
    on 21st December to
    America
    to Aton Pavković
    Potiac, Michigan
    Vesem Str 285

The last two lines are apparently the receiver's address. The street name may be misspelled, like Potiac is.

5. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I guess it is Pontiac, Michigan, maybe Wesson Street or another one.

6. munsworth New Member

English
    Thank you all very much!

7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Actually, your reading wasn't so bad, it's just odd linebreaks and typos in the original. It reads:

Slika U
    Uspomenu 1915
    odaslana ih Petrinje
    21 prosinca U
    Ameriku
    Atonu Pavković
    Potiak michigan
    veslin[?] str 285

Meaning

Photo for
    memory 1915
    Sent from Petrinja
    On December 21st to
    America
    ťo A[n]ton Pavković
    Po[n]tiac, Michigan
    Weslin[?] St. 285

I interpret the last line as a street address, but the street name is not quite legible. There's no Weslin, Wesen or similar street in modern-day Pontiac; the closest matches are Wisner and Wayne.

P.S. Anicetus beat me to it, with near-identical post. Still, it ain't bad to get it double-checked. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    As I wrote before, there is Wesson Street in Pontiac, a wrong spelling can be the result of pronunciation.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013