1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Croatian: Book of Verbs

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Tim~!, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Tim~!

Tim~! Senior Member

Leicester, UK
    UK — English
    Hello all -

My other half has done a really good job of learning Croatian, having read several books and being able to hold simple conversations over there. Last time we were in Croatia I bought a couple of large dictionaries for her in preparation for Christmas, and she already has several text books.

The one thing I would like to have as an indispensable tool for learning a language but have been unable to find is a book which contains verbs in their different conjugations. They normally have a title along the lines of "501 Italian Verbs" and we have them in several languages, but I haven't been able to find such a thing in Croatian. I presume they exist within the country itself as a reference book.

Could anybody please point me in the direction of such a book? I can order it online if necessary or, if I know what I'm looking for, try to locate a copy when we visit in December. I'd also be very happy to find a book doing something similar with cases if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    I'm not aware of any such book. I see that you refer to a series by Barnes & Noble, titled "501 verbs", with editions for several languages, but there is not one for Croatian (or any other Slavic language, for that matter). If there is no such material released by a foreign publisher, I would not expect it that it exists in Croatian either -- native speakers would hardly need it, right?

There are, however, online resources for conjugation and declension:
    - Hrvatski jezični portal (HJP) is a dictionary with declension tables -- click on "Izvedeni oblici", and you will get something like this.
    - Morfološki rečnik srpskog jezika has only Cyrillic interface, but supports Latin input/output, resulting in e.g. this.

Hope this helps,

3. Tim~!

Tim~! Senior Member

Leicester, UK
    UK — English
    Zdravo, Duya. Hvala na pomoći.

I don't know whether native speakers of Croatian would need such a book but certainly speakers of other languages (such as French) can get them in their own languages. It might be that because French has so many silent letters at the end and verb forms that exist only in literary language that these books are useful to the native speaker, whereas these aren't problems in Croatian. I don't know. Presumably you have books on the grammar of the language, though? I found a self-published book on 577 Serbian verbs, which I might buy because my other half and I can read Cyrillic script.

Anyway, thank you for your links, which might well be very useful (and leave me with some space on the bookshelf!). I found another handy website this morning which contains 324 verbs, so there are tools out there to be used.

Thanks again :)

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Ugh. The "handy web site" has severe reliability problems. On my second click I stumbled upon this:

http://beta.logosconjugator.org/item/145154/

and this is load of crap. It mixes up two paradigms (of perfective odreći and imperfective odricati), and the entire table is mixed up (perfect forms are listed in row labeled "future"). The idea might be noble, but the realization is just awful.

I'm not dismissing such resource as a unnecessary, just saying that it might not exist in a handy form. Croatian conjugation is somewhat more regular than French, but one has to know at least forms for infinitive and present 1st p. sg. (which do not correlate well) to derive the others, and there are a few exceptions on top of that (dual forms of -knuti verbs, like niknuti:nići ~ niknuo:nikao but only niknem, and rather unpredictable suffixes of aorist, are just a few off the top of my head).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. Tim~!

Tim~! Senior Member

Leicester, UK
    UK — English
    ^^ All the more reason for there to be an easy-reference book published then ;)

Yes, upon reflection that website appears not to be as good as I might have hoped. My knowledge of Croatian is very limited such that I wouldn't be able to comment on how well it's treated there, but there are other languages there that I know that aren't handled appropriately.