Croatian: Mjesec dana/tjedan dana/godina dana

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Miliu, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    Hello foreros!

In many expressions of time where appear the words week, month and year, I see the specification "dana" after mjesec (mesec), tjedan (nedelja) and godina, like here:

Marko ide samo na tjedan dana (=for one week).

Tjedan dana festivala (=during the week)

Bender fali još nedelju dana (=since?/for one week).

Vremenska prognoza mjesec dana (=during the month).

Ceo život za godinu dana (=within one year).

What additional information gives us that specification of "dana"?
    In what cases is it necessary to add this specification?

Hvala lijepa.

2. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    "Dana" means "days" (dan = day). Mjesec/godinu/tjedan are just a replacement for the length (~30, 365 and 7). So instead of saying "trideset dana" you may also say "m(j)esec dana".

3. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    I do know how many days has a month or a year, thanks.

But why do I have to put this "dana" after the words month, week, year. May I have a "year of apples" or a "year of tables" instead of a "year of 365 days"?

4. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    It gives no additional information, it's just another oddity in the language. Namely, you can't use those nouns in accusative alone as time adverbials -- they always require an another word with them. You can also say jednu godinu instead of godinu dana, but it's less idiomatic. However, when it's not "a year" that's being spoken of -- that is, when the noun comes with a quantifier anyway -- for example, dvije godine, pet godina, dvadeset i jednu godinu, nekoliko godina, dana can't be added. Note that sat ("hour") takes the quantifier vremena for this purpose. So "I'm coming in an hour" would be Dolazim za sat vremena or alternatively Dolazim za jedan sat, which sounds slightly less natural.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian

6. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    I was just explaining. emoticon-00114-dull.gif

I think you've misunderstood it. What you are basically saying by using "tjedan/ned(j)elju/m(j)esec/godinu dana" is "as many days as there are in a week/month/year". Literally.
    How long? - A week. = Koliko dugo? - Ned(j)elju dana.

7. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    I don't know who may be Bender, just copied this link:

1. [h=3]Bender fali jos nedelju dana - Borussia Dortmund Balkan Fan Club[/h]bvb1909.webs.com/.../19629530-bender-fali-jos...
      Has publicado que a ti también te gusta esto. Deshacer
      Bender fali jos nedelju dana. Posted on October 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Categories: None. Comments are disabled. Members Area · Sign In or Register ...

And thanks for the corrections and examples!

8. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    I'm sorry, Gnoj: I didn't understand you. Thanks for the (deserved) emoticon!

9. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Sven Bender is a Borussia Dortmund player. The title says that he is out for one more week.

10. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    Oh, that was a headline :rolleyes: , no wonder...
    Mr. Bender fali (će faliti)(klubu/momcima.. faliti/nedostajati nekom) još nedlju dana.
    Fali mu daska u glavi (može i u glavu :D)