1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Cross the [that] bridge when you come to it

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eli7, Sep 27, 2011.

1. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian; Farsi
    Cross the bridge when you come to it. I found it in a book with the name of "key idioms in key sentences".

Does it mean "you have to fight for your desires and should never give up?" OR "we don't know what will happen tomorrow so have fun today" ?

2. Crockett

Crockett Senior Member

Tucson, Arizona
    US English
    "I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it." This is a way of saying, "I will accept defeat and face the consequences when they come."

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I'm surprised it's not in previous threads. For me, "let's cross that bridge when we come to it" means let's not worry about a particular problem or obstacle or situation until we're actually faced with it -- we have other things we should focus on right now. Basically, it's live in the present and face the future when it becomes the present.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Oh, totally different than my crossings -- I never automatically factor defeat in: quite the opposite, actually. If the bridge is a metaphor for a problem, I say let's not worry about it now ... we'll solve it when we have to. Right now we have other problems to sort out.