Cross (to -, a -)

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What are your words for those? And do you use the word(s) metaphorically? (Let's not deal with the religious meaning here, just stick to the literal meaning)

Dutch: kruisen (or kruisigen - if religious: nail on the cross), het kruis.
    - kruispunt (crossroads),
    - de degens kruisen
    (fencing, crossing the rapiers, literally, enter into a fight/combat, ...),
    - onze wegen kruisen (we meet - literally: our ways cross...)
    - kruisen (crossbreeding)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. bibax Senior Member

kříž = a cross (from Romance cruze-/cruce-);

křižovati = to cross (the sea, the land, ..., the lightnings are crossing the sky, the roads are crossing), to crisscross, to cruise;
    pokřižovati se = to cross oneself (to make the sign of the cross);
    křižovatka = a crossroads;
    křižník = a cruiser (war ship);

křížiti (zkřížiti, překřížiti) = to cross (the swords, somebody's way/plans); to crossbreed;
    kříženec = a hybrid;
  3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    The most intriguing is crossing someone's plans, which means 'to thwart', I guess. We have something similar, I now realize, but then we have to add a prefix: doorkruisen, cross through. Kruisen as such seems to imply meeting only.

BTW: is a crossing a journey or a crossroads in this case? (Thanks)
  4. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    In Hebrew each context would a different word.

In Hebrew to cross can be לחצות [lakhatzot], לעבור [la'avor] which you saw in another thread (about crossing the street)
    I guess it can be להכעיס [le'akh'is] (or [lehakh'is] - to make someone angry

Het kruis is צלב [tslav]. The verb would be להצטלב [lehitstalev].
    Onze wegen kruisen would be דרכינו הצטלבו [darkenu hitslavu] (somewhat higher register than usual).

Kruispunt is צומת דרכים [tsomet drakhim] - a compound

Crossbreed would be להכליא [kehakhli] (verb), הכלאה [hakhla'a] (noun)
  5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I wonder about the roots used. I have just inquired about the [lakhazot/lavor] root, asking whether the root has some equivalent in English. At least there seems to be nog link with the noun. is that correct?
    i am quite surprised three or four different roots are being used, but could you perhaps go into the underlying meanings of the latter two?

As for English: so interesting to see that it has even led to an adjective... It does remind me of something like dwars, dwarsbomen (thwarting, let's say), but it is different.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:

Cross: «Σταυρός» [sta'vros] (masc.) a Classical masculine noun «σταυρός» stau'rŏs --> the upright pale or stake (appears as a word in Homeric Odyssey and Iliad); from the verb «ἵστημι» 'hĭstĕmĭ --> to stand, set up, place (PIE base *steh₂-, to stand). «Σταυρός» is reserved mostly for the Christian Cross (after Christian influence), or anything in shape of two lines or bars perpendicular to each other.

To cross: «Διασχίζω» [ði.a'sçizo] a Classical verb «διασχίζω» dĭă'sxĭzō --> to cleave asunder, sever, split up, in MG also to cross; compound, prefix and preposition «διὰ» --> through, through out + «σχίζω» 'sxĭzō --> to split, cleave, divide (PIE base *skei-d-, to split, dissect; cf. Skt. छिद् (chid), denominator, divisor, Proto-Germanic *skaiþanan, to divide; Lat. scindere, to cut, tear)

«Διασχίζω» = Lat. "dīscindere"
    «Σταυρός» ≠ «διασχίζω»
  7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So there is no link between the translations of same English word, I gather. But when reading about the verb, I wonder where you use 'to cross' in that meaning. Splitting and crossing seem different from my perspective, but the link may become clear if you give me some objects you can use with /diascizo/. Thanks in advance.
  8. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

«Διασχίζω το δρόμο» [ði.a'sçizo to 'ðromo] --> to cross the street
  9. arielipi Senior Member

about religious cross, to say in hebrew "nail someone on the cross" would be literal translation,
    but how we actually say it is "to cross(here takes the shape cross*)

*shape meaning just like you have square,circle etc you have the shape of a cross, like gothic t :p

about the underlying meanings: הכלאה comes from root - כלא which is always about cage,prison,lockage. crossbreed in hebrew is to say we caged an animal; a not linguistic part, philosophic - come to think of it is logical, cause it cant breed so we really do cage/trap him, end of philosphic thought;

Kruispunt, i do not understand what you mean by underlying meaning here, could you explain more please?
  10. e2-e4 X Senior Member

In Russian a verb to mean this is "пересечь" (with the imperfective counterpart "пересекать"), its underlined part has to do with cutting, drawing a line by cutting, and its prefix expresses the general idea of crossing something, passing something through.
  11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    'kruispunt' means 'crossroads' here. I don't quite understand 'crossbreeding' as 'caging' as I don't see the reference to two... But never mind!
  12. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Kruispunt is crossroads
    I thought about it some more after seeing your question Thomas.
    For crossroad we could say just צומת [tsomet] - also for Intersection - root צמת ts.m.t - the root has to do with putting thing together.
    צומת דרכים I think would normally use in a certain context; when someone is figuratively at a crossroad.

I think the same as arielipi (thanks!) - I also think it's because crossbreeding is actually forcing something on animals and nature, and this way can be understood as if we cage nature.
    But I wonder if others on here also see the connection or it's just us Hebrew speakers....
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  13. arielipi Senior Member

I wonder if tsomet is connected to tsamit, matsmit?
    What i asked was about the "underlying meaning" - what du mean by that?
  14. ancalimon Senior Member

karşı: across, the other side
    karşılaş: to encounter, to cross
    karşıt: contrary, opposite, reverse

çapraz: cross diagonal

geç: to cross (as in to cross someone while driving)

çiz: (to draw, to cross out, to describe)

cross (shape): haç, artı, çarpı

çarp means several different things.
    1) to crash, to strike, to collide
    2) to multiply
    3) to become crooked, curved, wry, awry
    4) to warp something , put it into the wrong path.
    5) çarpıl: to be struck by something evil to the point that the person loses sanity, cease to function like a normal human.

artı meaning "plus" or "the shape of the cross" comes from "art" generally meaning "increase in number or value"

haç is either from Armenian or some older unclear Turkic connection with the Armenians.

If it is from Turkic, it could mean two things. "Ağaç : tree" or "aç : open" ("wood" is "odun")

AÇ meaning "open" also means: "to expose to the knowledge of others; to make known, disclose. It would make sense if the Turkic people were using the "haç symbol" to explain "The God ; Tengri" to Armenians. After all, it was the symbol used for explaining Tengri.

The Christan cross (the one that does not have equal arms) would be called "çarmıh" in Turkish.
    "To be nailed on cross" would be "çarmıha gerilmek" : "to be stretched on to the cross"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  15. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

The cross described in the bible is made of wood, so the Tagalog for "Cross" is "Kahoy" (wood). The way "Christ was nailed go the cross" could be " Pinakuan si Kristo sa Kahoy".I dis agree the use of Pinako because when you use pinako, the nails are placed/nailed to the wood and it is wrong to use this word when a person is nailed to the cross. The word "cross"also means Tawid in Tagalog and it means also "forgiveness" in some forms/usage. Patawarin kami (forgive us) is one example. The small T= + is the sign of the cross because the Machasiach (messiah) is the symbol of human redemption from punishments written in holy scriptures.