Crude: "This use of multiple inheritance is crude...."

Discussion in 'English Only' started by catherine1999, Jan 27, 2013.

1. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    The simplest and most obvious use of multiple inheritance is to ‘‘glue’’ two otherwise unrelated classes together as part of the implementation of a third class. The S a t e l l i t e class built out of the
    T a s k and D i s p l a y e d classes in §15.2 is an example of this. This use of multiple inheritance is crude, effective, and important, but not very interesting. Basically, it saves the programmer from
    writing a lot of forwarding functions.
    from << The C++ programming language>> page 399

What's the meaning of curde in above sentence ? Does it mean "Natural" or "awkward" ?
    My interpretation would be "Natural", because the dictionary says so. but the book in our language describe it as "awkward,abrupt ".

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    It means 'approximative' or 'rough-and-ready', in my opinion; although I suppose that it could mean 'inelegant'.

3. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    "This use of multiple inheritance is crude, effective, and important, but not very interesting"
    But "effective", "important" are good thing. If the author means "curde" in bad way, it should go with "not very intereting".
    That would be easy to see his point. So I am confused.
    And dictionary says if a substance is crude, it is untouched(natural). If a production is crude, then it is not a good one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. Couriosity New Member

Korean
    How about replacing 'crude' with 'blunt'? The word of crude can be used in a positive way as well, such as the crude facts.

5. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    Sorry, "blunt" is out of my league, however it is one of my "new-words" now.

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I probably should have mentioned earlier that 'crude' is often situated quite close to 'effective'. I'm not sure if I'd describe it as a collocation, or a set phrase, but it's quite close to being one or the other. 'Crude but effective' in context would, I imagine, generate a fair few hits ... let's see: "Crude but effective" ... only four!? Maybe not quite the cliché I'd imagined it to be.

I have my doubts about 'blunt but effective' (phew - no results). And 'crude facts' sounds rather dismissive, to my ear. (Welcome to the Forum, Couriosity :))

7. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    Well, I can roughly feel the sense right now. Something is not very pretty but useful. We got the phrase alike in our language too.
    Thanks.