Crush (Romance)

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by RhoKappa, Oct 25, 2012.

1. RhoKappa Senior Member

California
    Standard American English
    A crush is romantic slang for intense romantic feelings for another. It is used as a noun.

1. I had a crush on Lena for three years before I asked her out.
    2. Lena was unaware that I had a crush on her.

Is there a Russian equivalent?

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    To have a crush - быть страстно влюбленным (a bit bookish though).
    Colloquial and a bit outdated is сохнуть по кому-либо.

3. RhoKappa Senior Member

California
    Is there a present-day expression?

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Both are quite present-day, but stylistically coloured as explained below. There are also many others, just explain how colloquial/bookish/teenage/serious/jocular it should be.

5. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Я втюхался
    втюрился
    влип по уши
    врюхался
    запал на неё
    I think this is an uncomplete list.

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Can we use any of these low colloquial words in the first phrase? Why not just был сильно влюблен?
    For number 2 it may work though, but let RhoKappa explain us exact style and extent of the feelings he means.

7. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

He was talking about slang, was he not? Я пригласил Лену на первое свидание целых три года спустя после того, как втюхался в неё.

8. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    It seems to me he was talking about romantic slang, not just slang. Anyway, he knows better what he wants.

9. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

What is romantic slang? Prison slang, usual slang, maybe scientific, computer, but romantic?

10. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    That's a question.

11. Sobakus Senior Member

I don't see why not use the simple я был влюблён.

12. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    A word of caution: быть влюбленным describes a much stronger feeling than "having a crush".
    I would simply say Лена мне нравилась...

13. RhoKappa Senior Member

California
    But doesn't Лена мне нравилась translate simply to I like Lena? A "crush" means to have stronger feelings beyond simple liking. They usually imply feelings of inadequacy or helplessness, like that especially of unrequited love, or love that is forbidden. More examples.

1. I had a big crush on Lena for three years and I could not ask her out because she is in love with my best friend.
    2. The schoolgirl had a big crush on her teacher.
    3. Lena has a big crush on Sergei, who does not even recognize her.

The second example illustrates "crush" very well: a student who cannot have a relationship with her teacher because such relationship is forbidden. In the third example, Lena likes Sergei, but because Sergei does not even notice her, Lena has feelings of insecurity because she feels that Sergei is not attracted to her.

Crushes are forms of attraction that often hurt people emotionally, either due to an internal struggle with emotion or external circumstances. Lena tells her father how much she likes Sergei, and shares how painful the attraction is, and her father consoles her by saying, "That's why they're called crushes."

A crush is also an attraction that is well-hidden, too. When Lena finally tells Sergei that she has a crush on him, she is confessing her intense desire for him that he was completely unaware of while they were friends.

These are experiences we all went through growing up, and I am sure there must be a Russian expression for this--or is there?

14. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Indeed, there are such expressions. But they are based on verbs rather than nouns.
    "страдать по кому-то", "вздыхать по кому-то"
    If you wanted a noun - then I'm at loss...

15. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I agree -- this is the closest, without analyzing in more philosophical terms how deep the feelings really were.

16. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I agree, this is the closest by sense according to what RioKappa described and irrespective of the style, which is still unclear.

17. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Not in my opinion.

18. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Well, there is no direct translation that is neutral register.
    быть влюбленным = to be in love
    любить = to love
    мне нравилась = I liked (to me personally it is the closest to "I had a crush": not quite in love, but still had romantic feelings)

You got some good options here (втюхался, втюрился, запал, страдать по кому-то, вздыхать по кому-то etc...) but they are all slangy, sometimes even pejorative.