Crush

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by blueotter, Apr 16, 2011.

1. blueotter New Member

American English
    How does one translate the concept of a "crush" into Russian?

Oxford dictionary says "он без ума от неё".
    In another thread on this form I read that "он к ней неравнодушен" translates as he has a BIG crush on her.Both of these phrases seem just a little too strong. I'm looking for the words to light-heartedly tell a Russian friend that I had a little bit of a crush on her. Does the Russian language not have any equivalent to the English concept of a school boy (or school girl) crush?

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Он к ней неравнодушен means quite a light degree of infatuation, not a crush at all. Maybe a little bit of a crush though.
    The best equivalent of "the English concept of a school boy (or school girl) crush" might be школьная влюбленность.
    Therefore maybe just он в нее влюблен. But без ума от нее is very bookish and is hardly applicable for a school thing.

3. Natalisha Senior Member

Russian
    "он без ума от нее" is really strong because it means "he's crazy about her".
    I would say "он к ней неравнодушен" is neutral.

You can also say "он запал на нее" (slang).

4. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    In the local dictionary (Wordreference) it is as follows below.

crush /krʌſ/ n.
    1. (infatuation): she has a ~ on him она́ без ума́ от него́.
    However, I think it is not 100% correct. "Без ума" is stronger than "she's got a crush on you". It usually means a temporary strong attraction.

I am not sure what a literary way of saying this is, but then "crush" itself is informal too, so in addition to the listed by Natalisha, I heard:

- Она на тебя глаз положила. (literally - laid her eye on you)
    - Он ее хочешь (intentional mistake, southern-No. / Trans-Caucasian spoken style; pronounce with fake Transcaucasian accent). (He want her, "want" without "s")
    - Он к тебе неравнодушен / неровно дышит. (he is nonchalant about you)
    - Он в нее втюрился (no translation - slang)
    - Она в тебя втрескалась (same - from "трескать", "to crack", a sound made when something is crushed, actually - "трещать")
    - Он пустил пузыри (He is blowing bubbles)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  5. Natalisha Senior Member

Russian
    I've never heard this one! It's new for me. :)

6. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Держу пари, при счете "три" наш котенок сразу пустит пузыри :) (из Волшебного Фонаря, о ковбое-Виторгане, в присутствии Гурченко-певицы из бара).

7. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Он к ней неравнодушен is the best equivalent for "he has a crush on her". It is light enough.

8. cBorisa New Member

I agree with rusita preciosa: "Быть неравнодушным" would be the most appropriate translatio for "to have a crush on smb"