Cuando a usar esas palabras

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by El Hondureño, Mar 1, 2005.

1. El Hondureño Senior Member

New York, NY
    USA;English,Spanish,Brazilian Portuguese
    A que situatión a usar esas palabras:
    Andar contra Caminar
    Haber contra Tener
    Tenía contra Tuve
  2. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    En cúales situaciones se usa esas palabras:

Haber contra Tener

Tenía contra Tuve

Perhaps your question about "andar" and "caminar" can simply be answered by taking a close look at their definitions.
    Note: If I'm not mistaken, I have heard that "andar" is a "Mexican" word. That is, it is used more in Mexico than in other Spanish-speaking countries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Here "andar" is very used too
  4. Laurita. Junior Member

Canada - English
    In Cuba, also:

Como andas? - casual greeting roughly translated to "how's it going?"
  5. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    I think we use "andar" like the imperative of "ir"
  6. Piano_boy_chile Senior Member

Santiago de Chile
    Chile - Español
    "Tener" is used to describe when you have something. And "haber" is used when using the ¿present perfect?/¿past compound? form, I mean like when you say "I have eaten".

At least here in Chile , "andar" is used mostly when you ride something: a horse, a bike, etc. I think that will do with most of "latin" countries.
    "Caminar" just means literally "walking".

And no, alc112, "andar" is not a Mexican word. It's VERY used in the Southern-most part of South America to describe many things. Specially in Chile, where you can also use it when describing different states of mind, or to describe a starting couple relationship where none of the both are very comitted to each other, but they can still be with other people. That's right, these are the times of , I don't know, ¿promiscuity? or lack of commitment for latinamerica.

Anyway, "tuve" is used when refferring to a thing that you had recently or for a brief moment, and "tenía" is mostly used when telling something that you used to have a long time ago.

Was this useful to you? I sure hope so. Good luck!
  7. 22caps Senior Member

I think Andar is mostly used as the imperative in Argentina simply because of it being awkward to use the imperative of ir considering el voseo.

Anyway, caminar seems to be something strictly related to walking... from which you get other derivatives like "el camino" meaning "the path". Andar can be more metaphorical, such as "Andaban enojados"... which is hard to translate but is something like "they went around angry".... Or (and this happens especially in Mexican spanish, which may be where you got that impression)... it can replace estar in the progressive... Por ejemplo: "¿Qué andas haciendo?" Hope this helps.
  8. El Hondureño Senior Member

New York, NY
    Thnx for correcting me VenusEnvy!
    Thnx guys I understand now
    To think that I didn't think anyone was going to answer lo
  9. mjscott Senior Member

The Mexicans in Washington State (yes, my class is over 80% of Mexican descent) say both

viene caminando

anda caminando

to express how someone is coming, if that someone is walking.

I can see why you would have some reservations with usage of andar and caminar under such circumstances!
  10. El Hondureño Senior Member

New York, NY
    Just as a question associated to Caminar; is Caminata ever used? If so, when?
  11. duder Senior Member

I have heard it used on occasion to refer to a hike (go for a hike = hacer una caminata).
  12. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    In Spain, andar is one of the most common verbs in everyday speech. There are hundreds of idiomatic uses of this verb. As for caminar, it means simply to walk. So wherever you use caminar, you can use andar instead, but not conversely.
  13. Snowflake Senior Member

España/ Spain. Castellano
    Yes "caminata" is often used. It is a noun and its meaning is just "a long walk". It's usually used in an enfatic way. For example. You have parked your car and then, when you are coming back to get it, you realize that it was farther than you thought. You could say:

No pensé que el coche estaba tan lejos, ¡¡vaya caminata¡¡.
    I didn't think the car was so far, what a long walk¡¡.
  14. Helm's Deep New Member

Philippines Filipino/English
    I just got a little confused... Could "Anda" be translated as "Go" in English?
  15. Artrella Banned

Andar as "to walk" cannot be translated as "to go". So in this case "andar" = to walk
    To go = ir in Spanish (to go to school = ir a la escuela)

no andes en mi escritorio
    don't go rummaging in my desk
    andar a gatas to go on all fours
    andar de prisa to go quickl

I've written some phrases with "andar" just for you to know them.
  16. Badcell

Badcell Senior Member

Spain- Spanish
    I would say that in South America they use the verb andar (walk) with that meaning (go)
    Anda a comprar el periódico
    Go get the newspaper
    But in Spain we use more often the verb ir
    Ve a buscar el periódico
    In Spain we use andar mostly as synonymous of caminar
  17. Artrella Banned

Badcell, at least in Argentina we use "andar" in that way you mentioned.

Andá a comprar el diario!
    Andá/te afuera ya!

But I think in other countries in Latinamerica they use "ir"

Ve a comprar el diario!
    Vete afuera ya!

What do you think?
  18. moira Senior Member

Catalonia, Spain
    spanish, catalan (Spain)
    (Del it. camminata).
    1. f. Viaje corto que se hace por diversión.
    2. f. coloq. Paseo o recorrido largo y fatigoso.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados
  19. Piano_boy_chile Senior Member

Santiago de Chile
    Chile - Español
    Yeah, Artrella, I think in Chile most expressions are the same in Argentina, like when using the verb "andar". We also say it when we use it as the verb go in the imperative.
    It is VERY usual here that when a parent is obligating his/her kid to go to bed, syas:

"Anda a acostarte inmediatamente!!" -meaning " You go to your bed, now!!".
  20. Piano_boy_chile Senior Member

Santiago de Chile
    Chile - Español
    Hondureño, so that we don't complicate your picture, I would just say that you use the word "caminata" when using "walking" or "walk" as a noun, which is literally what it means.

I went for a walk = Me tomé una caminata/Me fui de caminata.