1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

cubierta/portada (de un libro)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by LazyRach, Nov 14, 2009.

  1. LazyRach Senior Member

    UK English
    Hola a todos,
    Tengo que traducir una oración que dice que el subtítulo de un libro aparece ‘en la cubierta, la sobrecubierta, pero en la portada no.’
    En esta instancia, ¿la portada se traduce como ‘title page’? El autor cuyo trabajo traduzco parece utilizar ‘portada’ tanto para ‘cover’ como para ‘title page’, y me hago un lío.
  2. honeyheart

    honeyheart Senior Member

    Spanish (Argentina)
    Según entiendo, "cubierta" o "tapa" es "cover" y "portada" es "title page".

    La "sobrecubierta" de un libro es un envoltorio rectangular de papel, cartulina u otro material similar que cubre la tapa y la contratapa. (Wikipedia)
  3. Peterdg

    Peterdg Senior Member

    Dutch - Belgium
    También existe "solapa" para indicar una parte específica de la "tapa". Es la parte de la sobrecubierta que se encuentra al interior del libro. (Por lo menos, si he bien comprendido todo :))
  4. zumac Senior Member

    Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Hi Rachel,

    You really picked a very tricky subject, that is, translating the parts of a book.

    I worked for McGraw-Hill, here in Mexico, and programmed a system for the manufacture of books. Without going into detail, the Spanish book parts that I see mentioned here in this thread, differ, or do not exist, versus those that I learned at McGraw-Hill. Perhaps they differ by country.

    If possible, get in touch with the book publishing company that published the Spanish book that you make reference to, and ask them for a list of the Spanish book parts that they use, or where you can obtain the list.

    Good luck!


Share This Page