1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Cuerpos minerales

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by JHS, Jun 27, 2009.

1. JHS Senior Member

Santiago
    CHILE - SPANISH
    ¿Puede alguien decirme cómo se expresa "cuerpos minerales" en inglés?

Desconozco si esta frase es un término específico en minería, o si solo se trata de una forma para referirse a "objetos minerales".

El contexto es: "El prospecto es parte de los cuerpos minerales existentes en..."

Mi intento: "...Prospectus is part of mineral objects existing in..."
    ¿o específicamente será...?
    "...Prospectus is part of mineral bodies existing in..."

Thanks a lot.

2. Ritoha Senior Member

Murcia,España
    English-England
    ".The..Prospectus is part of mineral bodies existing in..."

3. JHS Senior Member

Santiago
    CHILE - SPANISH
    Thank you very much, Ritoha.

I'm applying word asper your kind message, (including article "The").

4. projectguy Senior Member

Chile
    English - Canada
    I have seen "cuerpo mineral" translated as "orebody" in one technical glossary, but you have to be careful with the use of the word "ore" in English, as many English-speaking countries regulate mining terminology when used by companies publicly, especially on the stock market. Nevertheless, the terminology is frequently misused in English and I don't know if there is any similar regulation in the use of Spanish terminology. The last time I researched the subject, I could not find any regulation in Spanish-speaking countries, but that was several years ago.

The use of the word "El prospecto" I find a bit strange in this context, as this translates literally as "the prospectus", as in prospectus for a stock market offering. I think the intention is "the prospect", as in "the prospective mineral development..."

So in this case, I think the intent of the entire phrase is, "the prospect is part of existing mineral deposits in..." The reason I think this is "mineral deposit" rather than "orebody" is because if you have an orebody, you are well beyond the prospecting stage of development. It's also possible to say "the prospect is part of the mineral deposits that exist in (this region)....", but this is where you have to understand the context and the real intent of the original writer.

I encourage those who translate mining documents to become familiar with official terminology in English. A good reference is the Canadian Institute for Mining (CIM), who provide the definitions. The Canadian regulations are found in NI 43-101. Both can be found readily by Googling.

5. JHS Senior Member

Santiago
    CHILE - SPANISH
    Thanks a lot, projectguy, for your complete explanation and useful information about 'CIM'.