1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. thecrapler Senior Member

US, English
    Hey. What does cuestionamiento mean? I have provided the paragraph I saw it in for context. If you'd like to help me along with the rest of the translation that would bea great help as well.

Nuestro cuestionamiento más importante a la present reclamación se fundamenta en el hecho de que siendo el Siniestro XXXX en lo que se refiere a la parte de la póliza correspondiente a Responsabilidad de Productos considerado UNA ÚNICA OCURRENCIA, el limite de nuestra responsibilidad para todo el periodo de 4 años es 3.049% del 80% de US 20.000.000 = equivalentes a USD 487.840= por lo que nuestro responsabilidad se agota al abonar dicho monto.

Here's my try:

The questioning??? most important to the present claim, is based in the fact that being the Claim XXXXX which refers to the part of the policy corresponding to Product Reliability considered A ONE TIME OCCURRENCE, the limit of our responsibility for the whole period of 4 years is 3.049% of the 80% of USD 20,000,00=, equivalent to USD 487,840=, for which our responsibility is exhausted in the payment of said amount.

2. panorama Senior Member

English & español / EE. UU.
    I think "cuestionamiento" may have the same meaning here as the simple, free-for-all English noun "issue".

3. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    I think "questioning" is fine.

Here's my attempt at translation:

Our most important questioning of the current claim is based on the fact that since Claim XXXXX, which refers to part of the policy corresponding to Product Liability, is considered a ONE-TIME OCCURENCE, our responsibility for the entire 4 year period is limited to 3.049% of 80 per cent of 20,000,000 -equivalent to 487,840 USD. Therefore, our responsiblity is decreased due to the payment of said amount.

Cheers!

4. thecrapler Senior Member

US, English
    Great reading of the text. Thanks so much. One question? Why did you chose decrease over exhause?

5. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    It may just be personal preference, but I didn't think "exhaust" rang too well with responsibility. Though I don't like decrease very much either, so now that I think about it you might be better off keeping exhaust.

Cheers!

6. thecrapler Senior Member

US, English
    Great thanks!

7. pejeman

pejeman Senior Member

Hello:

Just a remark:

Cuestionamiento is more akin to "controversy". Does "questioning" mean that: "controversy"?

</IMG>cuestionar. (from DRAE)
    (Del lat. quaestionāre).
    1. tr. Controvertir un punto dudoso, proponiendo las razones, pruebas y fundamentos de una y otra parte.
    2. tr. Poner en duda lo afirmado por alguien. Cuestionar la veracidad de una noticia.

Saludes.

8. thecrapler Senior Member

US, English
    So you think it would be appropriate to put down controversy for cuestionamiento? But to answer your question I think questioning or issue imply come sort of controversy.

9. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    They're very similar, at least I see some implication of controversy in the word "questioning."

Cheers!

10. pejeman

pejeman Senior Member

issue
    an important question that is in dispute and must be settled; "the issue could be settled by requiring public education for everyone"; "politicians never discuss the real issues"

Maybe the difference lies in that "cuestionamiento" is a personal, subjective position, while issue seems to be more objective.

But I am not an English native, so you are the best judge.

Cheers.

11. kiquito Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Español, Perú
    to question is also to challenge -- retar, cuestionar (no solamente indagar y preguntar). un tema que se cuestiona es algo de cuya validez se duda. también se cuestiona a autoridades ilegítimas, se cuestiona un relato inverosímil o incompleto.