1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. el Ché Junior Member

With the polar bears
    Inglés - Canadá
    'Cuetes' appear to be some kind of fireworks; but I didn't get any exact explanation of what sort of fireworks or part of the fireworks experience it would be.

I'm just wondering what kind, if it isn't an exact synonym.

2. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Hi, Ché

I think that you might be mispelling this word.
    It looks like COHETES, which is fireworks, but also can mean rocket.

3. Mei

Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Hi there,

I guess you mean "cohetes", hope it helps!

Mei

4. el Ché Junior Member

With the polar bears
    Inglés - Canadá
    Hmm. That may very well be. Yet the word I got was indeed "cuetes". So I'm now wondering if 'cuetes' might be a corruption of 'cohetes' which might mean something a little different or more specialized. Or, it's as you both think: simply just bad spelling.
    ;)

5. oliviaF Senior Member

Spanish-España-Madrid
    En algunos países latino americanos he oído que pronuncian las "o" como "u"...creo que es símplemente una cuestión de pronunciación, pero en todo caso se escribe "cohetes"

Hope it helps!

6. el Ché Junior Member

With the polar bears
    Inglés - Canadá
    Muy posible el caso. Pero la palabra es sin embargo exactemente ecribió como 'cuetes'.

7. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Es que la gente escribe muchas cosas, y eso sin embargo no significa que es correcto. Mira, googleando cuetes, hay textos donde aparece esa palabra, pero todos son de foros, o sea, nada garantiza que el qu eescribía sabía escribirlo bien. Si clicas a imagenes, verás que son cohetes - fireworks.
    Otra cosa que se me ocurre.... ¿Estás seguro que es una palabra castellana? Porque en catalán, cuetes son colas.

8. el Ché Junior Member

With the polar bears
    Inglés - Canadá
    It's definitely being used por mexican@s.

9. costarriqueño tú sabes Junior Member

Costa Rica - Español
    y ¿Cómo ud sabe?

10. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Dear El Che,
    Remember that the "h" is silent.
    Now pronounce this word: cuete
    Now pronounce this word: coete
    Remember that in both cases the middle vowels make a diphthong (two vowel sounds run together and pronounced almost as if one sound) so that there are two syllables to the word.

If you are pronouncing them correctly, you will find it difficult to hear any difference. If your Spanish pronunciation is weak, print this out and ask any native speaker to pronounce the two words. In both cases, the "e" gets emphasized, and the first vowel sound is minimal.

So it shouldn't surprise you to see a simple misspelling. (Also, omission of the "h" in words that require it is not uncommon among people who are not sufficiently educated, or who just do not spell well, like about 100 million Americans.)

If words are misspelled enough, the new spelling eventually becomes standard, in English as well as most languages. But this usually takes a generation or two.

I would not obsess over a small, obvious spelling error. Given the context of Fireworks, I assure you the word is COHETE.

Please click here for images.

(Also, by the way, whether you like it or not, as a human being with a tongue, mouth, and so forth, the natural laws of physiology and physics are such that the sound of the "u" or the "o" will be influenced by the sound of the stronger vowel that follows it. The fancy linguistics term for this is sandhi. Click here for a Wikipedia brief explanation.

If you visit a library, you can find a wealth of literature, photographs, oscilloscope displays, and so forth on this specific area of linguistics.)

¿Ya hemos arreglado a la resolucion final de la cuestión?

11. GabyCQ

GabyCQ Senior Member

español - MEXICO
    pues sí le atinaste... los mexicanos llamamos cuetes a los fireworks.

You got it, we (mexicans) sometimes use the word "cuetes " to designate fireworks

12. el Ché Junior Member

With the polar bears
    Inglés - Canadá
    There you go.
    ;)

But that's any fireworks, right?

13. GabyCQ

GabyCQ Senior Member

español - MEXICO
    Yep, any fireworks.

Also, "cuete" can be used if someone is drunk. You can say: "¡Traes un cuete!" or, ¡Está bien cuete! (he is soooo drunk!)

And finally "cuete" can also be a gun (pistol)... I suppose it´s because of the noise. :)

14. el Ché Junior Member

With the polar bears
    Inglés - Canadá
    El ejemplo en el último mensaje está perfecto. Gracias por todos.

15. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    Dicho popular: más ordinario que papel de cuete. Proviene de cuando los cohetes de pirotécnia se hacían con trozos de periódicos viejos.

Se tiró un cuete = expulsó un flato (en general, ruidoso)

Te van a sacar a los cuetes: te van a sacar rápido y en forma no muy cortés.

Pasó a los cuetes = Vino pero estaba tan apurado que se fue enseguida.

16. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    Cuetazo = tiro, disparo de arma de fuego.

Estar al cuete = estar sin hacer nada, estar al pedo. También se puede anteceder con la palabra Divino. Ej: Estar (alguien) al Divino cuete/pedo = estar ocioso pero ya de manera ostensible e irritante.

17. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Es muy probable que el uso popular mexicano de cuete para firework sea derivado de cohete.
    El otro uso de cuete que ya mencionaron es reconocido por la Academia Mexicana:

cuete.
    (Posiblemente de cohete.) 1. m. Borrachera. || 2. adj. Borracho. | medio cuete. adj. Medio borracho. || ponerse un cuete. loc. Emborracharse. || traer alguien un gran cuete. loc. Estar muy borracho.
    Diccionario Breve de Mexicanismos; Guido Gómez de Silva; Fondo de Cultura Económica 2004

A ver si esto le sirve de algo a alguien.