1. Veranea Junior Member

New Mexico, US English
    Hi,
    My boyfriend wrote this to me and I was wondering what it meant. I tried looking the word up in a dictionary, but it says that it doesn't exist. This is what he wrote entirely if it helps: te amo, te quiero, y cuidate mucho. If anyone could help me out with the translation that would be grately appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Veranea

2. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Hi!!! Welcome to WordReference!!
    The trasnlation is "take care of you"

3. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi... and welcome again to WR.

Slight improvement on what Alc112 wrote...

cuídate = take care of yourself or the US colloquial take care!.

Saludos,
    LN

PS. I'm moving this thread to the General Vocabulary forum, which is where we handle most translations.

4. Lost_in_Time Junior Member

Santa Fe, Missouri
    United States, English
    If I may tag on to this thread.... I have a question on grammar (very basic...sorry): Veranea's boyfriend wrote to her saying "te quiero". When would be the proper use of "te quiera"? Is the gender of the verb tied to the person that says it, or is it tied to the person they are speaking to?

5. chica11 Senior Member

USA English/Spanish
    Hi!
    te quiera really doesn't exist or at least I have never heard it. Quiera is the subjunctive form of querer and the subjuntive either talks about hypothetical situations, when you want/need/etc someone do do something/think something/believe something etc.

Te quiero means I love you (like a friend or something more depending on the region)
    Gender doesn't matter for verb conjugations!!

Querer
    Yo Quiero
    Tu Queres
    El/Ella/Ud. Quiere
    Ustedes Quieren
    Nosotros Queremos
    Vosotros Quereis (I don't know vosotros it's a guess!! No conozco vosotros estoy advinando!!)
    Vos queres

6. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    I have to disagree with you, chica11
    We use te quisiera:
    Te quisiera acompañar, pero no tengo tiempo
    Quisiera ser como tu

7. chica11 Senior Member

USA English/Spanish
    To add: Te quiero (te=you and quiero is the first person present form of querer) therefore I love you.

You would use quiera in the sense of Cuando quiera!! Lo que quiera which would be When you want or Whatever you want and is put in the subjuntive because that's the way it is and because you aren't sure of the desires/wants of the person you are talking to.

I don't know your level of Spanish and I hope I am not confusing you!!

8. chica11 Senior Member

USA English/Spanish
    alc!! quiera y quisiera are two different forms of the verb querer. I agree with you that we do say te quisiera... mas otro verbo pero has escuchado te quisiera como oracion completa?? Ademas, yo solamente estaba referiendome a su pregunta de quiera no de quisiera.

9. Lost_in_Time Junior Member

Santa Fe, Missouri
    United States, English
    To say my level of Spanish is "elementary" would be generous, but I am trying to learn. I am still confused, but now I am confused about more important things! :)

10. chica11 Senior Member

USA English/Spanish
    Sorry to confuse you Lost,, if you want to say I love you it's te quiero not te quiera. The conjugation of the verbs in the present tense generally does not have any gender assigned to it. If It's a woman saying I love you: it's te quiero (or te amo/ amar is to love) just like if it's a man saying I love you (te quiero, te amo)

11. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Sorry:eek:ddddddd

12. Lost_in_Time Junior Member

Santa Fe, Missouri
    United States, English
    :idea: Muchas gracias por la clarificación! Every little bit helps.

13. chica11 Senior Member

USA English/Spanish
    No need to say sorry Alc, you didn't do anything wrong!!!

Abrazos!

14. Veranea Junior Member

New Mexico, US English
    Thank you for your help you guys...it was greatly appreciated.

15. solecito

solecito Senior Member

US
    México Español
    Hello guys just giving my two mexican cents again, te quiera it is used on third person, and first too, examples"

"cuando él te quiera como yo te quise "
    "when he loves you as much as I loved you"

"Cuando te quiera ver yo misma te mando llamar"
    "When I wish/want to see you I'll send for you"

" Cuando te quiera dar un ataque al corazón recuerda las pastillas que te dió el doctor y tómate una"
    " When you feel you are getting a heart attack remember the pills the doctor gave you and take one"

" Yo no tengo la culpa que ella no te quiera"
    " It's not my foult she doesn't want you/love you."

Hope this clears it up,¡ saludos!

16. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

No Lost in Time, the gender of the verb is always the same.

Maria te quiere, Alberto. / María te quiere, Susana
    Juan te quiere, Susana. /Juan te quiere, Ernesto
    Te quiero, Juan (Maria says this)
    Te quiero, Maria (Juan says this)
    Te quiero mamá (María/Juan says this)
    Te quiero papá (Maria/Juan says this)

17. still.learning.to.breathe New Member

Pennsylvania
    USA. English
    so I have a question about "cuidate"....i have a friend that lives in Honduras and he wrote to me "cuidate mucho"...what does this mean again? I got lost

18. Lost_in_Time Junior Member

Santa Fe, Missouri
    United States, English
    Cuidate means "take care of yourself" or more typically in English it would be "take care". I would think the most obvious translation of cuidate mucho (though perhaps not a literal translation) would be "take special care". A more literal translation might be "take a lot of care of yourself".

Anyone with more expertise, please correct me.

19. dbanner New Member

USA
    This phrase has caused a lot of confusion!!!

Could Cuidate mucho also be used as a "good-bye"???

I think it would be typical in english to say "Take care." as a casual "see ya later."

correct?

I got a "cuidate mucho" from my girlfriend and haven't heard from her in 2 weeks!!!!

20. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Yes, cuídate is an expression used sometimes when saying good bye, it's an equivalent of take care.

Greetings

21. Calario Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain Spanish
    La palabra "cuidate" se forma con el verbo "cuida" (de "cuidar" y que se puede traducir por "to take care") y el pronombre "te" que aquí significa "a tí mismo" "yourself".
    Se usa como despedida cariñosa "Cuidate" o como advertencia "Cuidate de los Idus de marzo" "Beware the Ides of March" (esto se lo dijeron a Julio César) o como consejo cuando estás enfermo "Cuidate ese resfriado" "Cuidate esa herida".