1. Alohomora Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish & Catalan
    Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to find a word in English tha expresses the same meaning than the Spanish word "cultismo", that is, a word or expression that derives from a Latin or Greek word.

I can't find it in any dictionary, so it seems that there isn't any equivalent to that word in English, so... How would you say it?

I need it to complete a sort of glossary (to indicate the words that are "cultismos"), so I can't use a very long expression.

Thank you!

2. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    From Latin/Greek?

3. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Or:

Of Latin/Greek origin

4. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    Encontré esto...

"The main additions to vocabulary during the early Modern English period are learned words from Latin and Greek, frequently called inkhorn terms because of their bookish character."

Yo investigaría ambas expresiones.

Saludos.

5. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Mmmm, personally, I have never heard inkhorn terms and wouldn't understand it without an explanation like in Ushuaia's quote. Learned words is a common enough phrase, but out of context, it would be hard to know whether it was meant to be read as learned (past tense/participle of to learn) or learnéd (adjective meaning scholarly).

If the point is the Latin or Greek origin, I'd just say that.
    If the point is that these are words that only well-educated people would know, then perhaps scholarly word?

6. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    Muy interesante Ushuaia, pero la mayoría de personas no entendrían 'Inkhorn terms', entonces el término no ayudaría mucho en un 'glossary'.

7. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    "Learned words" is a term used in lexicology. Many, many words are of Latin or Greek origin, but "cultismos" are usually introduced to fulfill a particular need. I found the same definition for "learned words" in lexicology texts... any lexicologists out there? A lexicographer will probably do too...

I don´t think "words of Greek/Latin origin" will do, since it wouldn´t be accurate: it´s a list of "cultismos", not simply of words derived from Greek or Latin.

About "inkhorn terms"... I was just trying to help! I did say "I would check both expressions"...

Saludos a todos.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  8. Alohomora Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish & Catalan
    Thank you very much for all your help! All the opinions were very interesting.

I have been researching, and I think that "learned word" is the most suitable expression in this case.

You've been very kind!