1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Culto de Acción de Gracias

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by victorcortes86, Oct 16, 2010.

1. victorcortes86 Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Spanish
    Culto de Accion de Gracias es un culto hecho normalmente en la Iglesia, agradeciendo a Dios por algo en particular: Cumpleanos, graduacion, etc.

Hay algun termino en particular en ingles?

Hicimos unCulto de Accion de Gracias por mi graduacion.

My try: "We had a service thanking God for my Graduation."

2. mnewcomb71 Senior Member

Detroit, MI
    USA - English
    We had a whorship service of thanksgiving for my graduation.

"Worship" can probably be left out, but context in your writings or conversation would be needed for it to be understood.

3. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    Would "eucharist" be an option?:

Eucharist, from Greek εὐχαριστία (eucharistia), means "thanksgiving". The verb εὐχαριστῶ, the usual word for "to thank" in the Septuagint and the New Testament, is found in the major texts concerning the Lord's Supper...

4. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    Al menos en la cultura norteamericana, EUA y Canadá, hay el término THANKSGIVING es usado para indicar eso, aunque está también asociado a la historia de los "pilgrims".
    Definitivamente yo dirIa Thanksgiving y no EucaristIa, como sugieren, porque esta segunda opción está asociada a la misa o ceremonia religiosa y a los sacramentos.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/Eucharist

5. victorcortes86 Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Spanish
    Yes, eucharist has a particular meaning for Christians, a special Service related to The Last Supper.

Now, just to clear up my doubts, as ASM suggested, wouldn´t the term "Thanksgiving" carry out a meaning like the Thanksgiving celebration (with the turkey and everything) or it can be used for refering to any celebration to give thanks?

6. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    Yes and no; although thanksgiving is very attached to the Pilgrim's story, and is celebrated every year with a very specific meaning, the term stands by itself and can be used for many other occasions.
    Eucharist, on the other hand, is seen as a very religious and specific service. To me, this is not other thing than MISA, regardless of its etymology. I am sure some Christian groups use the term with a similar meaning.

7. victorcortes86 Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Spanish
    Ok, summarizing all your suggestions, the best translation should be something like:

"Hicimos un Culto de Accion de Gracias por mi graduacion."

"We had a Thanksgiving Service for my Graduation."

8. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    Correcto

9. mnewcomb71 Senior Member

Detroit, MI
    USA - English
    Something like...but this translation sounds off to me. I am going to stick with something like "...a service of thanksgiving...".