1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. In English, sometimes adjectives are described by adverbs when used as nouns, as in 'the culturally distinct.' It is seen often in academic use. Does this French equivalent work? Thanks in advance for your help.

Afin de respecter la distincte culturellement, une conception de différence et l'identification de cette différance ancrent notre relation avec l’autrui.

2. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    I can't really understand the sentence, sorry!
    Would you have the English version at hand?

3. Nala Senior Member

Montreal
    French, Canada
    Je crois que l'on dirait une "distinction culturelle"

4. I thought it might come off a bit wierd. The idea is to identify a person by calling them the 'culturally distinct' to get at the crude roots of racism. 'A cultural distinction' seems to water it down a bit for me. Or is this as provocative in French?

I didn't have an English sentence, but it would be "In order to respect the culturally distinct, a conception of difference and the identification of this difference anchor our relationship with the Other.

5. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Ceux d'une autre culture?

6. Nala Senior Member

Montreal
    French, Canada
    I myself did not perceive it as provactive. Or racist for that matter. At this point, I'm not sure what is the exact message that you are trying to convey. Do you want it to sound racist and/or provocative or do you merely wish to acknowledge a difference of culture?

7. Sorry, no it is not to sound racist but to be suggestive of the roots of racism. Nor is it about acknowledging, more a question of simply identifying someone as being different (in a negative sense), like a denial of possible common ground.

This phrasing 'the culturally distinct' serves as a generally heading to replace particular invocations such as 'the Jew', 'the Muslim' etc.

8. Nala Senior Member

Montreal
    French, Canada
    I think I understand now. You would be "branding" a group of people (The Jews, the Musling, etc). You would be putting, for example, all Jewish people in the same bag by referring to them as "the Jews". You would not necessarily want to insult or belittle Jewish people in general but seeing that they are different from you, you would feel the need to make them "culturally disctinct" from you.

Phew! I hope I finally got it right! In any case, if I did, my translation would be "culturellement distincte" but I don't think "culturellement is an actual word used in French (it wasn't on GDT...).

9. That's it. So "la culturellement distincte" works as a known phrase then?

10. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Hello,
    I believe I have understood what you want to say, but in any case 'la culturellement distincte' does not make sense in French. How about 'ceux qui appartiennent à / qui sont issus d'une autre culture'? Because you seem to be willing to show that if one wants to overcome racism, one has first to admit and take into account the incumbent differences between two cultures before endeavouring to bridge the gap between the cultures. Have I got it right? Hope it helps.

11. thanks, that does. but now I seem to have another issue on my hands. I only have so much space on the scholarship application form for which I'm writing this text, so brevity has become very important (I'm right down to the last line).

I think I'll just have to go with 'la diversité'. cheers.

12. fafa05 Junior Member

US
    french france
    What about "l'exception culturelle"? This term is used a lot for the french culture.

13. ascoltate

ascoltate Senior Member

Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English
    Hi!
    Since this is in the grammar forum, I think we should get back to the grammatical aspect of this question, which is: can you create a noun out of an adverb + adjective combination.
    The answer is, well, it depends. "le culturellement distinct" sounds quite strange to me, but you often hear talk about "le politiquement correct" - so, this is obviously a possibility.
    Perhaps somebody else can come up with some more examples or figure out when this noun derivation is possible or not.
    I have a hunch that "politiquement correct" may be an isolated example and is a direct translation from English, but that is only my own suspicion...