1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

cum dato et con sale [cum dato et consule]

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Quentin Dollinger, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Quentin Dollinger Junior Member

Ft. Lauderdale
    English- England
    I have encountered this sentence from a letter of 1822. If anyone can provide a translation of these five Latin words in the context they are used here I would appreciate it. The newspaper story alluded to is the unexpected death of the Duke of Gotha. It seems to me that a straight translation is not going to provide the real meaning the writer is trying to convey, so if I have to elaborate its meaning in a footnote that is fine.

[FONT=&quot]"There is another reason not to expect a retraction, for it is not possible that a German newspaper announces such information so definitely, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]cum dato et con sale[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]if it were not true."[/FONT]

2. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    This is a misprint for cum dato et consule, literally 'with the date and the consul'.
    The Romans dated events by the day and the month according to their own system and they gave the year by naming the consuls who were in office that year.

The phrase is equivalent to the English 'with chapter and verse', that is, with precise circumstantial detail.

3. Quentin Dollinger Junior Member

Ft. Lauderdale
    English- England
    Thanks for the correction. I was relying on a transcript provided to me as I don't have the original to look at. Chapter and verse makes perfect sense!