curfew

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by clansaorsa, Aug 4, 2013.

1. clansaorsa Junior Member

France
    English UK
    Clearly the English word curfew comes from the French couvre feu. Do other languages have a similar 'lights out' concept and is it still signalled as (I think) in France with the chiming of church bells in the evening normally around 19.00?

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    In Russian it was вечерний звон (evening chime).
    However this meaning - signal to put out lights - is hardly known nowadays and the very expression is associated only with the famous song.

3. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic, it is حظر تجوال /hadhr tejwaal/ which means "wandering ban"

4. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew something similar, i can think of two things:
    עוצר otzer which means wandering ban,
    and there's the 'lights out' time, like in Harry Potter books where theyre not supposed to be wandering after certain hour - כיבוי אורות kibuy orot.

5. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    in Greek it is "απαγόρευση κυκλοφορίας" /apa'ɣorefsi ciklofo'rias/. The meaning is as in Arabic "wandering ban".

6. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    In Turkish it's "sokağa çıkma yasağı" (prohibition of going out to street)

There's also "karartma" (the darkening) as in "turning off the lights", "covering lights".

kara: black
    kör: blind

The word karakol (prison) might also be semantically related.

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    IN Dutch:
    - uitgaansverbod (ban on going out)
    - spertijd (time for banning things, maybe blocking things) --- not very common
    I don't see any others containing 'fire' or something the like...

8. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Wow, I did not know that!:thumbsup:

Just to add: the modern trem is curfew is комендантский час /komendantskiy tchas/ - commander's hour

9. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    In Norwegian, the compound word portforbud is used for curfew.

port - (street)door, gate(way)

forbud - ban, prohibition

10. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Finnish ulkonaliikkumiskielto = a ban (kielto) on moving (liikku-) outside (ulkona); in the past, iltasoitto "the evening ringing (of bells)" has also been used to refer to curfew

Icelandic útgöngubann = a ban (bann) on going out (útganga)

11. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

zákaz vycházení ("ban of going out") = a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night;

večerka (< večer = evening) = lights out in the army, children/scout camps, etc., signalled by bugle or calling;

12. clansaorsa Junior Member

France
    English UK
    In Scots Gaelic the two things - church bells and fire out - are linked. 'Clag smàlaidh' is curfew. 'clag' - a bell - and 'smàl' to snuff out or cover.

13. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    In Spanish it's toque de queda (The phrase itself makes little sense in modern Spanish 'cause it comes from old Spanish. It literally says something like ''touch of remaining'')

In Japanese you can say: 夜間外出禁止令 yakan gaishutsu kinshi rei (lit. law that forbids to go out at night); or you can say 消灯令 shoutourei (law that turns off the light). You can omit 夜間 when the curfew isn't during the night.

14. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

I think in Tagalog curfew is also "Takdang oras"(designated time).