1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

cursor jumping in Chrome

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Gavril, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi,

In the last week or so, I’ve noticed that when I start a WR thread in Chrome and put text in italics/boldface/etc., the cursor will start “jumping” unpredictably around the WR text window: if I type some italicized text, and then press the backspace key, the cursor will suddenly leap back to the point in the text before the italics started.

I still don’t fully understand the mechanics of the “cursor jumping”, but it’s enough of an inconvenience that I’ve started typing all my posts in an external Word document, and then cutting/pasting them into WR (hoping that the relevant formatting will be preserved).

I’m just curious if others have noticed this problem, and if there’s any upgrade forthcoming that will take care of it?

Regards,
    Gavril

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    To reply in general terms, yes, there are some issues with the editor... and cursor jumping, especially with italics at the end of a line, has come up in the past. It seems that each update of the vBulletin software platform that these forums run on brings its share of fixes and new issues. Let's hope they get it taken care of...

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The cursor jumping happens wherever there are italics, not just when they're at the end of a line.

Also, this problem seems to occur in Firefox as well.

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    FYI, it's been about six months since I noticed the cursor-jumping problem, and it *still* hasn't been fixed: whenever I type italicized text in Chrome, and then press backspace or the left arrow button, the cursor jumps back to the point where the italics begin, rather than simply one space back.

As far as I can tell, this bug is present on any Windows Vista machine running Chrome. I wouldn't be surprised if it was affecting Chrome users on Windows 7 and Macs as well.

If any moderators are reading this, can you please tell me when you expect this problem to be fixed?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  5. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Hello Gavril,

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing this issue.
    There is an error reporting system for alerting vBulletin to bugs they need to take care of in a future release. I just searched that error database to see if anyone else has complained about your problem. People did, back in Oct./Nov. 2011. At that point, people using Chrome 14 (which was the current stable release at the time) were unaffected, but people running Chrome 16beta (which was obviously in beta mode last fall) had this cursor jump. Since the issue was limited to the beta version of Chrome and seemed unrelated to vB code, no further steps were taken and the issue report was closed. vB does not investigate bugs that can only be reproduced in the beta version of a browser.

There are several other bug reports related to strange cursor behavior in Chrome when using the backspace key in a post that contains bold/italic/etc. formatting... but they do not quite match your description.

Please make sure you're running an up-to-date stable (non-beta) version of Chrome. If that doesn't solve the problem, then we can proceed from there.

FYI: Generally speaking it takes > 6 mos. for errors to be resolved. After a bug is reported to vB, it must be confirmed, investigated, & resolved by their programming staff. The solution must then be tested and integrated into a future version, and that version released... and then our site administrator here on WR needs to update our forums to apply the new release.

Jann

6. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hello,

I'm using the latest version of Chrome (24.0.1312.57) available to me, and the cursor jumping problem has remained exactly the same for more than a year, whenever I've used Wordreference on Chrome.

Can you please report this problem to vBulletin the next time you have a chance? Here's a quick summary that you can send them:

Thank you,
    Gavril

7. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

I think this is related to this (fixed) bug report. I think it will be fixed with the next update of the vBulletin forum software, but that might not happen for a number of months.

Mike

8. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi mkellogg,

Thanks for responding. The discussion that you linked to is on the website dev.ckeditor.com -- is this site directly linked to the development of vBulletin's software? (I ask because I think that vBulletin.com also has its own forum for reporting bugs.)

Also, I noticed that the discussion you linked to started 14 months ago (and hasn't been updated for 11 months). In message #5, Jann mentioned that the cursor-jumping problem was reported in Oct./Nov. 2011 -- which is also almost exactly 14 months ago -- and then the issue was closed, because they believed that it had to do with a beta version of Chrome in use at the time.

Therefore, I think it might still be worthwhile to forward my report to vBulletin, just in case they aren't already addressing this problem for the next vBulletin update. Would that be possible?

Thanks,
    Gavril

9. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

vBulletin has their own bug database, but when they find that the problem is with the CKEditor that is embedded in their product, they rely on the CKEditor team to do the work. That is what is happening here, and I think we just need to wait now.

10. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Well, six more months have passed now, and I have the newest version of Chrome (for Win 8), but the cursor-jumping problem is still there, unchanged since I first noticed it nearly two years ago.

Do you still think it's likely that this issue will be fixed with the next vBulletin update? (I'm not sure when the most recent update was.)

Regards,
    Gavril

11. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    It's now several months since the previous post and a lot more since the original. There is still no progress. I avoid Internet Explorer with Wordreference because it times out when using the editor for more than a few seconds. I therefore use Chrome. I don't have trouble with timeouts now but the editor has to be watched carefully or it produces nonsense. This is not just to do with italics as some have suggested. In my experience the cursor jumps randomly and for no obvious reason.

I wonder if the two problems are connected. Does the lack of timeouts on Chrome cause the server to become confused?

Question: Does anyone know if this problem is under consideration and, if so, by whom?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

I've given up hope that vBulletin will fix these bugs. They might, but I don't think that they care enough.

This summer, I expect that we will move on to another forum software package that hopefully doesn't have these problems. That is the best I can do.

13. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Okay, thanks.

14. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I have the same issue, for what it's worth - that's no help, but sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone.... :rolleyes:

15. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The newest version of Firefox for Windows 8 seems to be free of the cursor-jumping problem.

16. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I'm still on Windows 7. I'm going to try Firefox.

IMPORTANT If others are thinking about this, make sure you get Firefox from the official site. There's a fake one that looks really plausible but my anti-virus says is full of nasties.

UPDATE: Okay, I'm now using Firefox for Wordreference, I'll let you know if it works.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  17. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    UPDATE

I have been using Firefox with Windows 7 since yesterday.

All the editing problems have gone. There are some aspects of Chrome that I miss (the ability to refresh a page for example) but the improved editing makes learning the foibles of the new browser worthwhile.

Thanks Gavril. :thumbsup:

18. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Every browser offers you the ability to refresh a page.. (try pressing F5)

19. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Thanks. That's very useful. Can you tell me how to duplicate a tab? If I can do that then my happiness is complete!

Where do I find these universal commands that apply to all browsers?

20. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    CTRL + T.

It works in every browser.

21. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    That's not quite the same. It just gives a new tab. In chrome you can duplicate the current tab with right-click.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  22. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    If you want to duplicate the current tab in FF you can Ctrl-click or middle-click the Reload button on the location bar.

23. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Yes - that works. Thank you.

24. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I have this problem too, but I notice that it can be avoided by holding down the shift key when pressing the backspace key.

I'm going to test it right now:Hello there!

After typing "Hello there!" in italics, I pressed the backspace key without holding down the shift key, and, as you can see, the space after the colon was deleted, and that's to where the cursor jumped.

Now doing the test again, holding down the shift key: Hello there

It worked: the exclamation mark was deleted, and the cursor stayed where it should, ready to make the edit: Hello there?

25. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    You are wonderful. Yes yes yes ​yes. Thanks!

26. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    That's a weird workaround! How did you discover it?

I'm still using Firefox browser specifically for WR and it works perfectly with no problems at all that I can detect. You can find it here http://www.mozilla.org

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  27. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    By fortuitous happenstance. :)