cut / copy and paste

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by gachette71, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gachette71 Senior Member

Belgium - French
    Hi.

In French we say "copier-coller", but I think its translation would be "cut and paste" instead of "copy and paste" (which would be its exact translation)

So my question is : which of these expressions do you tend to use the most often ?

2. marget Senior Member

Copier-coller is copy and paste. Couper is cut. It depends on what you what to say.

3. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

people around would say CTRL-C CTRL-V rather than anything else. But this is in the context of Shanghai, I dont know about native speakers.
    Note that people use it as a verb, in Chinese as in English: you do the work once, then you CTRL-C CTRL-V to save time

4. gachette71 Senior Member

Belgium - French
    Yeah, I understand, but we don't use "couper-coller" in French (or very rarely) and so, I wondered if there was an expression you would tend to use more often than the other.

5. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

cut and paste is an old newspaper expression from the pre-computer days, when you actually cut up pieces of text and pasted them together to be the basis for a newpaper page (a paste-up)

some people have kept the expression for computer editing; others use the more accurate copy and paste

I have never heard the Microsoft shortcuts Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V used as a term to describe this. Maybe it's "Chinglish"?

6. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

well, it seems to be :)

7. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Well, "cut" (Ctrl-X) and "copy" (Ctrl-C) are two different things in Word Processing. Either can be followed up by 'pasting' (Ctrl-V).

8. doudino10 New Member

moroccan arabic
    cut=couper not copier
    paste= coller
    copy=copier

9. KraftDinner Senior Member

American English
    I use both "cut and paste" and "copy and paste", and sometimes my friends use "CTRL-C CTRL-V" but usually it's one of my more "computer savvy" friends. Most people would use "cut and paste" and "copy and paste" I think.

10. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    I hear "control plus c", "control plus v" used sometimes, but usually only by people who are into computers.

11. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

At least in French, some people say it, although the grammar is not as free as in English or in Chinese:
    tu fais des Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V pour aller plus vite.
    It is more than colloquial but still, some people use it.

12. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Wildan, it's not more accurate. Read Marget above. Sometimes you copy, sometimes you cut, sometimes you drag...

13. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

My point being that there are some who just use one expression for all of that and unless you are being quite precise it is understood all the same.