1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

cutlet, schnitzel

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Gavril, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hello,

The English word cutlet, meaning "a thin slice of meat ... cut from the leg or ribs" (American Heritage), is based on the verb cut + the diminutive suffix -let French côtelette < côte "rib".

German has the roughly corresponding term schnitzel, based on the verb schnitzen "carve".

In Finnish, I think the main term for "cutlet" is kyljys (< kylki "flank, ribs"). Finnish also has a term leike "cutting, cutlet" derived from a similar source as the previous terms (< leikata "to cut"). leike is also used to describe the specific German dish "schnitzel" (e.g., Wieninleike "Wiener Schnitzel").

What terms do other languages use for "cutlet"?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic, the term كستلاته /castalatta/ is used and I don't know the origin of it.

3. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew we say shnitzel for chicken, otherwise i dont know.

4. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    In Swedish kotlett and schnitzel are considered as being specific styckningsdelar/styckningsdetaljer (stycka = break up, divide; dela = part) of meat (be it beef, veal, pork or lamb), there are different names for the different styckningsdelar depending on what kind of animal is cut up. There is also the word kallskuret (cold cuts) for meat and charcuteries that are meant to serve cold (ham, roast beef, salami).

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    English cutlet etymologically has nothing to do with English cut and let, being the French loan:

cotelette - Ca 1393 costelette. Diminutif de côte; suff. -(el)ette.

But English cut has really infuenced on the orthography (Harper).

Russian uses the same loans from French - котлета [katl'eta] and from German - шницель [shnitzel'].
    However Russian cottelete is usually not a chop, but a rissole.

6. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi Gavril,

In Greek:

«Κοτολέτα» [koto'leta] (fem.) --> cutlet < Fr. côtelette (or Italian cotoletta; Babiniotis gives it a borrowing from Fr., others, from It.). The word is used for beef/veal.
    For pork, chicken, or lamb we use «παϊδάκι» [pa.i'ðaci] (sing. neut.), «παϊδάκια» [pa.i'ðaca] (pl. neut) --> pork/chicken/lamb chop/chops, rib/ribs < Classical neuter diminutive «παγίδιον» păgídīŏn --> snare, gib, of Classical fem. noun «πάγη» págē --> fowling net, snare, noose (PIE *peh₂g-, to fasten, fix cf Lat. pangere, to set, fix; Proto-Germanic *fanhanan > Eng. fang); «παϊδάκια» [pa.i'ðaca] (pl. neut) is this.
    «Σνίτσελ» ['snit͡sel] (neut.) is the...schnitzel; also «φιλέτο» [fi'leto] (neut.) < It. filetto --> fillet. The pork tenderloin is called «ψαρονέφρι» [psaro'nefri] (neut.) < Byz. Gr. «ψυαρονέφριον» psyaronéphrion (neut.) < compound, Classical fem. noun «ψύα» psúă & «ψόα» psóă --> muscles of the loins (with obscure etymology) + Classical masc. noun «νεφρός» nĕpʰrós --> kidney, testicle (in MG «νεφρό» [ne'fro] (neut.) --> kidney); PIE *negʷʰ-ró-s, kidney, cf Proto-Germanic *neurô, kidney > German Niere.
    «Μπριζόλα» [bri'zola] (fem.) is the steak < Venetian brisiola

7. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    That's embarrassing. :eek: I thought I'd found a pattern involving "cutting" with German schnitzel and Finn. leike, and I didn't bother to check the etymology of the English word. I'll correct the original post (and thanks for pointing this out).

I should have been suspicious given that some languages have an intervening vowel in this word (e.g., Icelandic kótiletta) that's lacking in English.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

řízek is a general term, from the verb řezati = to cut (by knife, saw), to saw;

kotleta is usually pork and with bone;

filé (< fillet) usually fish or beef;

šnicl (vídeňský řízek or simply řízek in Czech) = wiener schnitzel;

9. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian --- szelet [from szel - to cut]

10. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hungarian also used kotlett (now outdated) which meant a slice of meat that includes a rib (I'm not sure whether it had to have the bone itself) but coming from the same part of the animal like e.g. a pork chop from a pig - for which presently we have the word karaj (and you can ask for it with or without the bone).

Karaj or karéj is also a synonym of szelet (both meaning a slice).

11. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    The story is that during the 50s there was hardly any food, so expensive beef was replaced by the more available chicken. Similarly we prepared liver substitution from eggplants. Since then food returned but the Hebrew schnitzel remained chicken.

The Hebrew word is ktita כתיתה of root k-t-t, the equivalent of German schnitz, and probably with intentional sound similarity to cutlet.

12. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    The Czech řízek (meal) can be made also from eggplants, celery roots or boletes, by the same procedure like the Wienerschnitzel (wheat flour - egg - breadcrumbs). But from veal it's the best.

The word řízek (< řezati = to cut) also means plant cutting.

13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: varkenslapjes will be the most common name, I suppose. Something like 'pork chops', but lap generally refers to something torn off, I think, like een lap stof (textile), almost like 'rag(s)'... The etymology is unclear, so I read...