CV vs full resume (USA)

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by *heidi*, Jan 17, 2007.

1. *heidi*

*heidi* Junior Member

Milan
    Italian-Italy
    hello,

could someone please help me with this matter? I can't understand what's the difference between a CV and a full resume. Resume, to wordreference dictionary, means " curriculum vitae". Yet, I've just found out that a resumé is actually shorter than a CV and does not include personal data such as age, gender, etc. Then what's the italian word for resumè? And what's a FULL resumé???

I was asked for a full resume, but I find it very similar to my European CV. Am I wrong? Is it just a matter of how to display the information or is the content different? Shall I send my CV or shall I rewrite it?

Thank you very much and sorry for the too many questions.

2. femmejolie Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish (Spain)
    (Full) resumé (USA) /curriculum vitae (UK)

3. cas29

cas29 Senior Member

Milan Italy
    Canada/English
    In general, in North America you will hear resume (pronounced as if it were French - resumé) used much more frequently than cv, BUT cv is used also.

Fundamentally, from an employer's point of view they are the same thing. A summary of your relevant work experience and education, qualifications.

I can speak now for Canada, for sure, but I beleive what I am about to say is true also for the USA.

In Canada, it is ILLEGAL for a prospective employer to ask you

your age
    your marital status and if you have children
    your sexual orientation
    your religion

There may be more things that they can't ask, but for sure those four points.
    This is to help make sure that people aren't discriminated against on the basis of any of those points.
    It is also not customary to include a photo with your resume in Canada.

I would say that a full resume would include ALL your work experience, while if the "full" was not specified perhaps that means only your work experience related to the job you are applying for. But I can't be sure about that. In my mind if you can't show why something is relevant to what you are applying for, you shouldn't put it in.

I hope that helps, rather than creating more confusion!

4. *heidi*

*heidi* Junior Member

Milan
    Italian-Italy
    Thanks for help. Then, in your opinion, since I was asked for a full resumé, shall I send my European CV just omitting the above mentioned information or shall I rewrite it adopting a "resumé" style?

Thank you very much.

5. cas29

cas29 Senior Member

Milan Italy
    Canada/English
    As long as you feel that your European CV reflects all the work experience and qualifications that are relevant to this job, send it. You can omit those details (they are not allowed to ask, but you can tell them.... most people don't give those details, but a prospective employer can figure a lot of things out by graduation date and work experience!)

It also depends on how long your cv is!
    I worked for an executive search office for a while, and if resumes were more than 2 pages long, no one wanted to even look at them.
    Try to be concise without cutting important details.
    Try not to be too wordy. I know from experience that the Italian style of writing tends to be much more elaborate than the English style.

Good luck!

6. DAH

DAH Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA/California--English
    Another distinction between the resume and CV, is that the CV would include all articles or treatises that were published in peer review journals or in book form, presentations of white-papers at conferences, etc.

7. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I'll throw in a slightly different perspective, but I don't disagree with any of the comments above.

In the US, resumè and Curriculum Vitae (CV) can be considered equivalent, but used in different contexts.

Just from my experience, "resumè" is more often used in a "business" setting.
    A "resumè" can look just like a CV, but more often it tends to be shorter.

To me, "CV" is more often used in a scientific setting, such as a university employee, academic medicine and other such professions.

But both can be interchangeable, depending on who is saying what.

So if I were to give you any advice, I'd say:

1. Keep a "perfect" "huge" "long" "complete" CV on your computer, and update it whenever your data change.

2. If you need to send it somewhere, change the title to whatever the person has asked for. If they say "Can you send me your resumè?" then change the title to "Resumè". If they ask "Can you send me your CV?" then I'd change the title to "Curriculum Vitae".

3. Depending on where you are sending your "CV" to, you adjust the length. If it's clear they want to know everything about you, send the complete one. If it is clear they just want to know a little about you, sent a shorter version with the parts that are relevant to them. If you don't know, send the long one.

Too many words...my fingers are tired...:)

8. *heidi*

*heidi* Junior Member

Milan
    Italian-Italy
    Thanks a lot...I'm really grateful to everybody.

9. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    I agree with everything that has been said, but I would be even more draconian than Cas.

I do a lot of hiring of both junior lawyers and admin personnel, and if you are not Johnnie Cochran or Rudy Giuliani, we don't want to see more than a one page resume from you. I believe this is standard in the business world.

When I go to law schools to speak about recruiting, I say that, generally speaking, I've never met anyone under 40 who really needed a second page. They're either including things that are no longer relevant (worked as ice scream scooper at the beach the summer I turned 14) or are going on way too long about things that need little explaining.

As Tim noted, academic jobs and science jobs are different -- many people have 2 or more pages of articles published and speeches given.

10. readerenglish New Member

India - Hindi & English
    CV and resume stand for the same thing.
    full form of cv is Curriculum Vitae and resume is word which is derived from summary.

11. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    Cas I found your observations very interesting.

In Italy employers are allowed to ask you your age... well, they don't even need to, as it (I'd say: always) appears on the CV. In Italy some recruiting ads can even ask explicitly for people ''under'' a certain age..

They will ask (if you are a woman) if have children and, in case you don't, some will ask what is your ''child policy'' (or sometimes at least try to understand what your intentions are).
    Asking about your sexual orentation would be considered EXTREMELY unappropriate so no one would do that (or at least I've never heard something like that!!).
    As regards religion I guess nobody really cares... (unless maybe you're dealing with a religion that has specific needs on job site... but it's absolutely not common, never heard about someone interested in your religion... maybe because, if you're dealing with an Italian, you expect him to be ''culturally speaking'' catholic, by default, but no one really cares...)