1. Sandy_Bella

Sandy_Bella Senior Member

TeGuCiGaLpA, Honduras •_•
    EsPaÑoL (CaTrACHO)
    Hey Buddies!
    My teacher told me once that the word Cynic does not mean in English the same it means in Spanish. In Spanish Cinico is someone who lies shamelessly, so, what does exactly cynic mean in English?

God bless you >_<

2. auspicious Senior Member

U.S., Texas
    English (U.S.)
    My understanding is that a cynic is a person who believes that human actions and behaviors are motivated primarily by selfishness.

3. Sandy_Bella

EsPaÑoL (CaTrACHO)
    Can you be more specific?
    I mean, could you be kind to provide some synomyms of Cynic.
    I will be very thankful!!!

4. auspicious Senior Member

U.S., Texas
    English (U.S.)
    I don't know any exact synonyms but these are close:

doubter (because the person suspects the motives of others)

pessimist (thinking and expecting the worst of others).

skeptic

5. Sandy_Bella

EsPaÑoL (CaTrACHO)
    Thank you so muchhh!!
    I the closest is pessimist.

kisses and hugs ^_^

6. Yluvatar

Yluvatar New Member

Peruvian Spanish
    I'll write two different small conversations in English and Spanish with the use of cynic (en) and sínico (sp), please check them and help me find a correct word for "cínico" in English.

Conversation A in English :
    A: They gave me these magazines for free.
    B: Mmm, there must be something they need from you, I'm sure they will ask you for that later.
    A: You're such a cynic.

Conversation A in Spanish: (notice that it will be incorrect to use "cínico")
    A: Ellos me dieron estas revistas grat
    is.
    B: Mmm, debe haber algo que necesitan de ti, estoy seguro que te pedirán algo después.
    A: Eres todo un incrédulo. ("incrédulo" would be one option, "escéptico" would be another one.)

Conversation B in English
    A: He said he gave you the documents and that you told him that you checked them and they were perfect.
    B: He's such a lier!, I cannot believe he continues lying after all the problems he had.
    A: I can't believe it, He is sucha a ______ (and here is my problem, in Spanish we use "cínico" to qualify someone who lies shamlessly. Is there a word in English for that?)

Conversation B in Spanish:
    A: Él me dijo que te dió los documentos y que tú le dijiste que los revisaste y que estaban perfectos.
    B: Qué tal mentiroso! No puedo creer que él continúe mintiendo después de todos los problemas que ha tenido.
    A: No lo puedo creer, es un cínico.

7. eli-chi Senior Member

Santiago-Chile
    Spanish-Chile
    Tal vez "blatant".
    En el ejemplo de la revista, diría en español "desconfiado" en vez de "incrédulo".

8. Yluvatar

Yluvatar New Member

Peruvian Spanish
    And, what do you think about this words to use them in the conversation I wrote?

blatant
    brazen
    cheeky
    sassy
    barefaced
    fresh
    bold-faced
    brazen-faced

9. eli-chi Senior Member

Santiago-Chile
    Spanish-Chile
    Además de "blatant" (que hace las cosas abierta y descaradamente) me quedaría con "barefaced". Pienso que también podría ser "shameless", nuestro "desvergonzado".
    Just my opinion!

10. Yluvatar

Yluvatar New Member

Peruvian Spanish
    Muchas gracias por la ayuda, si por ahí alguien tiene otra opinión para enriquecer el tema se lo agradecería.