1. allergic2dancing Junior Member

English / United States
    Could someone please help me translate

"Comme les hommes ont la très mauvaise habitude de mourir en moyenne sept ans plus tot que les femmes, et une propension naturelle à laisser le "démon de midi" les mener par la queue, nous enregistrons dans toutes les nations occidentales un très net excédent de grands-mères/belles-mères veuves ou divorcées.

I gave the whole paragraph for context, but I'm just interested in the bold part.

Merci Merci Merci!!

2. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    Perhaps "mid-life crisis"?

3. BERENICE S Senior Member

French-France
    Hello,

Other suggestions :

"middle-aged crisis"
    "middle-aged lust"

and why not, as reference to a famous film "the seven-year itch" - guess it will be understood?

bye -B.

Bye -B.

4. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    french4beth is right mid-life crisis. The French also use crise des cinquante ans

5. zaby

zaby Senior Member

crise des quarante ans is more commonly used :)

6. savannah Senior Member

English, USA
    Just a note on the origin of the phrase... Might help contextualize and nuance your understanding of it.

In English, one would call it the "noon-day demon," and it comes from a notion common among the early monastics (4th century) that there are times when one seems to lack the ability to resist temptation, or to engage fully in the practices and daily tasks one formerly enjoyed. It's sometimes connected with the notion of "acedia" or "sloth" and has been taken up by some present-day psychologists and psychoanalysts to refer to a kind of depression and alienation that often (though not always) begins to manifest itself in mid-life, when one begins to wonder why one is here, what one really wants out of life, etc.

7. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Oui, ou crise de la quarantaine (ou de la cinquantaine hein, pas de jaloux ! :p ).

La quarantaine, la cinquantaine : la dizaine d'années correspondant à l'âge de 40-49 ans et 50-59 ans.

8. zaby

zaby Senior Member

Merci Agnès, je me doutais que ce n'était pas tout à fait ça :rolleyes: et ça me turlupinait encore.

9. bambou80

bambou80 Senior Member

Montreal (Canada)
    French Canadian
    TERMIUM suggère middle age temptations.

10. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    Il y a aussi: middle-age lust

11. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    "middle-age" ou "middle-aged" (voir poste 3 de Bérénice) ?

12. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    A midlife crisis need not be associated w sex; it could refer to one's professsional life, the onset of the empty-nest syndrome...For men, it's often jokingly associated w buying a red convertible :) ! It's between bedroom sex and hallway sex, in the old saying, "There are three periods of sex in the life of a couple: kitchen sex, when you're still in the throes of first passion and you make love in the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, everywhere; bedroom sex, where you settle into a routine of making love at night in the bedroom; and hallway sex when, passing each other in the hallway, you say "Fuck you" to each other." So, perhaps "the seven-year itch" would be good.