1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dépaysement d'un dossier

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by apollinaire, Dec 2, 2010.

1. apollinaire Senior Member

English - Ireland
    Hi!

I'ce had a look at the definition of depaysement but nothing seems to fit inthis context...
    it's from a newspaper article discussing a legal case (about Bettencourt, Prevost-Desprez)

"le procurer general...souhaitait le depaysement de tous les dossiers geres a Nanterre."

he wanted the cases to be thrown out of court maybe?

merci!

: law, loi
  2. Razorlight Senior Member

French - France
    Hello apollinaire, have you got more context to help us ? Because "depaysement" is not employed for its originally meaning and we need informations to well understand it ;).

3. apollinaire Senior Member

English - Ireland
    well i'm having trouble understanding the context myself. it's from an article in Le Monde called "Affaire Bettencourt: une illegalite, un amalgame et, au final, une vraie scandale!"

as far as i understand it the evidence in the dossiers of Nanterre was obtained illegally and so the judge isn't accepting their validity and wants them to be 'depayse'...but i'm not 100% myself...

4. Razorlight Senior Member

French - France
    Okay so could you give us the sentences before "le procurer general...souhaitait le depaysement de tous les dossiers geres a Nanterre." ?? or the whole sentence ?? Maybe it will help.

5. Rascarkapak New Member

French
    A «requête pour dépaysement» is in French law the equivalent of a «Motion for change of venue».

It's granted by the Court when there are serious concerns that an accused will not have a fair trial in his own Judicial District.

If a person accused of serial murders in New York City is judged in NY, there is a raisonable fear that there will be no fair trial at all.

The trial will be moved to Buffalo or Plattsburg.

6. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    Bienvenue, Rascarkapak :)

C'est juste.
    On trouve des définitions sur l'internet.
    dépaysement : "Le dépaysement consiste en le fait de changer le dossier de juridiction dans l'intérêt d'une bonne administration de la justice" source
    Il s'agit d'une procédure visant à dessaisir le tribunal de Nanterre du dossier Bettencourt. ("renvoi vers une autre juridiction", en termes plus compréhensibles)

...wished to change venue
    ?