1. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    As in "un usage détourné d'un objet". When you want to use an item for a different purpose to the one it was intended for.

I can make a full sentence for it, but I really need an adjective as the original sentence is already a mile long with unsplittable additives.

Help greatly appreciated

2. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Maybe it would be easier to help if we had the whole original sentence?

3. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Could it be "misuse"?

4. Primal

Primal Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    Canadian English
    "Alternate?" Would "an alternate use" make sense as an English translation? I think there is another word that fits exactly in the situation you described, but I can't put my finger on it. It will probably hit me half way through tomorrow...

5. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    "Alternate" suggests another, but acceptable, usage - whereas I understand from the original request this is not an expected use. I do think that it is difficult to know or guess, though, without the original...;)

6. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    De la chaussure, qui rime avec voiture, aux formes d'embauchoir suspendues au-dessus d'un canapé club anglais, des tables de billard détournées pour assortir son costume à ses cravates et un vocabulaire mobilier esprit Valet, dans une atmosphère très club anglais aux éléments de " récup " comme ces pièces de mobilier chinées ..................... and so on for another five or six lines.

7. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    This is possible when we learn the context, but definitely negative. If you use something for a purpose it wasn't intended for - but the usage was nevertheless good - I don't think it would be called a "misuse".

8. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    It's not a misuse. There isn't that negative connotation to it.
    An alternative use is correct, but I would need an adjective and not a phrase.

It's like taking light bulbs and a flower vase and "détourner" their intended use so as to turn them into a light for a non working fireplace.

Or taking a church candelabra and turning it into the base of a table lamp; taking an oyster shell and turning it into a candle holder.

Does it show that I need to see the light over this?:p

9. catay Senior Member

Canada anglais
    An intended use can be "converted" into something else:
    convert: 2. To change (something) from one use, function, or purpose to another; adapt to a new or different purpose
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/convert
    Hope this leads in the right direction..
    "the billiards table converted to accommodate..."

10. polaire Senior Member

English, United States

I believe it would "alternative."

11. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    Yes but, can't there be a way for an adjective and no need to add a phrase after it?

What I mean is that I would need and avoid having to go for something such as "from pool tables seeing an alternative use as display tables for blah blah blah", all the more so since I have another 8 or so "détourné" objects in the same sentence. :eek:

I feel like a pain in the neck tonight as well as sleepy ( or is it the document that's a pain in the neck?), I'm most sorry about that.

Thanks Catay for the link, I believe I could use "converted" in some of the cases at least, where no misunderstanging is likely, but that's not everywhere, so if anyone else has an idea...................... I'm ready to put both thumbs up in spite of the exhaustion on my brain .:D

12. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Maybe diverted?

13. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    Thanks, I can try this one on some too :)

14. Primal

Primal Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    Canadian English
    This looks like it's saying overturned.
    "The pool tables were overturned to hold his suit". Look at my poor drawing of a suit ->
    [​IMG]

Would this make sense to anyone else?

15. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    '..a pool table doing service as ....' perhaps?
    Or '...serving as....'

16. chorn New Member

Ireland
    To those who have a glimmering of Irish here, remember French has a hefty Gaelic content, both in vocabulary (think 'window') and grammar constructs (think 'I am hungry'). Use it.

17. Blootone

Blootone Senior Member

Saorstát na hÉireann
    English, Français
    I agree that "serving as" is a useful choice (being an equivalent to "faire office de...").

A targeted translation for the verb "detourner" would however be "to commandeer":
    "A pool table commandeered to hold a pile of coats"

This conveys a sense of the object being put to an incongruous or inappropriate use out of necessity.

18. chorn New Member

Ireland
    Tout à fait. Merci.

19. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Agreed, or serving to (hold his pile of stuff.)

20. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    Thank very much you to all, it was interesting.

Technically speaking, you could say I was still stuck though, as no such answer applied, but I could hand that text over, if only half satisfied with the ways I could handle that word.

Obviously it wasn't made clear as I was so sleepy and annoyed by hours just stuck on that very problem, but the actual trouble was to find an adjective that could be used on its very own. As it was never mentioned in the document what the various pieces of furniture or architectural items had be "détourné" into.

It wasn't "une table détournée en un lit", but "une table détournée peut être découverte au troisième étage", "une cheminée détournée est l'un des nombreux clins d'oeil au passé", etc. without a mention as to the new use given to these elements.

21. Tas Senior Member

France
    Australian English
    I realize this is a rather late comment, but I often have the same problem with the word "détourné" and sometimes use "misappropriated", a kind of clin d'œil, as I know it doesn't really suit the context…

22. Merle Senior Member

Limoges, France
    English
    twisted, transformed