1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

détournement d'objets

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by youkoulhelo, Oct 3, 2009.

1. youkoulhelo Senior Member

Uk/Dk
    France - French
    Hi!

I am trying to translate the idea of detournement d'objets in the following sentence which is about design as the cultural appropriation of technology:

The precedent section reviewed three modes of appropriation of material artefacts: consumption, xxx of objects and codes etc.

Divert is the verb to which it refers in english but I am not sure about the term diversion in this context. Do you have any suggestion by chance ?

thanks by advance

2. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    SVP, quelle est la phrase française que vous cherchez à traduire en anglais ?

3. antorcan Senior Member

Toronto
    English - Jamaica and Canada
    Détournement, c'est dans le sens de récupération, je présume.

Peut-être ce serait en anglais: adaption ou incorporation.

4. youkoulhelo Senior Member

Uk/Dk
    France - French
    detournement a un sens plus precis en francais, en tous les cas ds ce contexte, l'idée de detourner l'objet de sa fonction initiale, de lui donner un autre usage, c'est une appropriation, qui implique une sorte de 'twist' dans son usage, mais pas vraiment une incorporation. l'idée de récupération dans le sens politique s'en rapproche, l'idée de récupérer une chose en la sortant de son contexte ... je sais que le terme est délicat à traduire ... dans le détour de mes lectures aujourd'hui, je ai trouvé le terme tel quel, non traduit ...

merci de ton aide en ts les cas !

de votre aide sorry ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  5. Already-Seen mod'if

US
    French - France
  6. youkoulhelo Senior Member

Uk/Dk
    France - French
    Thanks ! it seems like 'detournement' is one of these things that can't be translated in its integrity ;)

7. Already-Seen mod'if

US
    French - France
    Can you leave it as detournement / détournement? (The article mentions "turnabout" and "derailment...")

8. youkoulhelo Senior Member

Uk/Dk
    France - French
    yes I think to keep the french version is certainly the best way not to betray the term, at least in this context where it is key to the philosophy of the author ...

9. Already-Seen mod'if

US
    French - France
    The article I linked to earlier mentioned recuperation and how works are appropriated. Couldn't appropriation work in your context?

From another article: The term appropriation refers to the use of borrowed elements in the creation of a new work (as in 'the artist uses appropriation') or refers to the new work itself (as in 'this is a piece of appropriation art').

Edit: I just realized you used the term appropriation in your opening post...

10. cocorico Senior Member

France
    France/USA - francais/anglais
    Has been derailed from its previous goal? maybe?

11. Foehn~ Junior Member

French
    Hi,

I would like to translate into English the following expression: "le détournement des codes du film documentaire" (I am currently trying to describe the famous Brazilian short movie called "the Island of Flowers"). Is it possible to say "the appropriation of the codes of the documentary film"?

:)

12. antorcan Senior Member

Toronto
    Here are some suggestions using more figurative language. I presume that "codes" refers to rules, conventions and the like.

"Hijacking of the rules of documentary film making"

"Commandeering conventions of the documentary film"

13. Foehn~ Junior Member

French
    Thank you very much for your help! (By the way, I thought that the word "codes" could stand for "rules", "conventions" and so on.)

14. antorcan Senior Member

Toronto
    You are right about codes.

It was a reflex on my part to choose the other words to accommodate the average anglophone...who would more readily understand the synonymes in the context.

After all, codes could also refer to some mysterious elements that had to be "decoded". But I think it refers here simply to norms.

Of course, if the document has a more "academic" target, codes would be fine.