děkuji or děkuju?

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by Setwale_Charm, Sep 20, 2006.

1. So far I have never actually found out to this day which is more correct.:) I have encountered both.
  2. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

Both are correct but "děkuju" sounds more casual. I always use "děkuji".

3. Tedy, děkuji, Jana:).
  4. PocketWatch Member

USA English
    I have noticed that too. If děkujovat is the verb for 'to thank' I thought that the proper conjugation for the já form would be -uji. Are there other acceptions to this rule other than děkuju/uji?
  5. Orreaga

Orreaga Senior Member

New Mexico
    USA; English
    For infinitives ending in -ovat (děkujovat, studovat, pracovat, etc.), the first person singular present tense has alternate endings in -uju and -uji. The -uju ending is considered slightly more colloquial (according to my texts), but this probably varies regionally.
  6. winpoj Senior Member

May I draw your attention to the fact that the infinitive form is "děkovat" rather than "děkujovat"?
  7. Orreaga

Orreaga Senior Member

New Mexico
    USA; English
    Samozřejmě! :) Je mi líto... děkuji!
  8. PocketWatch Member

USA English
    Thank you, some of my Czech verbs are rusty.
  9. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    Ahoj! Knowing which form of "Thank you" to use is a mystery to me. I just came to a conclusion both are very common and people don't care. However, I wanted to comment on a third form I came across recently in a grocery store in Prague. There the shop keepers use "děkujem". Is this an even more informal/formal variant? Na shledanou.
  10. Garin

Garin Senior Member

I would not call it more formal, it is just that the shop assistant speaks as if in the name of the whole team - "we (i.e. all the shop assistants, proprietor, whoever is on their payroll) thank you".
  11. Catenaria New Member

Kampala, Uganda
    Czech, Slovak
    As Jana said above, both are correct; the difference is that "děkuji" is more formal and "děkuju" is more informal. When you write, you're more likely to use "děkuji" (unless you're writing a casual email to your friend), and when you speak you can use both (though you will probably use/hear more "děkuju", especially on the street).

"Děkujem" is an informal/slang for the 1st person plural (the correct one is "děkujeme"). Remember that "děkovat" is a verb which is conjugated, and though logically the 1st person singular forms "děkuju/děkuji" are the most used ones, it can also be used in any other person (děkuju/děkuji, děkuješ, děkuje in singular, and děkujeme, děkujete, děkují in plural - here you can sometimes also see an informal děkujou).
  12. winpoj Senior Member

Just for the benefit of learners: The versions that are even more informal than "děkuju" are "díky" and "dík". Sometimes you can even hear just "dˇ". That is the most informal but not that frequent.
  13. Tagarela Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    Português - Brasil
    Karel Kryl would have a hard job trying to make a song only with Ď :D

*Sorry mods, I could help doing this joke.

** Karel Kryl is a Czech singer and has a song called Děkuji
  14. bibax Senior Member

Quite common slang word for děkuji is děkan (= dean).
  15. Emys Senior Member

Another slang word: díkec.
  16. Ben Jamin Senior Member

You meant exceptions?
  17. vianie Senior Member

I thought that díkes is more common.
  18. werrr Senior Member

Dík is a perfectly crumulent word.

I wonder what makes people think that the noun dík, possibly the most lemmatic and standard cognate of děkovat, is somehow informal. Perhaps people start to think of it as of a parenthesis alike as of prosím. Or is it because of the missing attributes which usualy accompany the word dík in formal phrases (vřelý dík; tisíceré díky)?

This is unknown and obscure to me.

Phonetical differences of this form are at the very limit of resolving ability of colloquial Czech.
  19. francisgranada Senior Member

20. tlumic Senior Member

Czech - Czech Republic
    Otherwise what is well possible is that the shop assistant was a Slovak. The Slovaks say (1st person singular): "ďakujem". It sounds obviously nearly the same as "děkujem(e)".
  21. vianie Senior Member

That's of course quite possible but note that most sellers say "thank you" (for obvious reasons) in the plural even if they are alone.

For foreigners it may sound exactly the same.
  22. lordfrikk Member

No wonder it is, since it's one of those cool words that someone invents and then it goes viral. I wouldn't use it if you're not a native speaker, since it will come off quite weird (or you will all have a good laugh if you say it jovially, I suppose).

To summarize:

děkuji - formal, if in doubt use it
    děkuju - slightly less formal, do not use in job applications and such, otherwise perfectly okay
    slang words - this is how i would sort them obscurity-wise (least obscure at the top):
    děkan (if fact i don't think i ever heard this one but it makes sense i suppose, would't use it because it sounds to me like person saying it tries too hard to be cool and different, same with ď)
  23. bibax Senior Member

Ď is mostly used in the phrase "tak ti ď " or "tak ti teda ď ", often meant ironically.

Do you know Dalibor Janda's cover version :) of Kryl's song Děkuji?

24. lordfrikk Member

I only ever heard it in a spoken conversation as "ď ď", meaning simply "thanks". But as I said before, it's just people trying to be edgy, I don't consider it something suitable for regular use.
  25. francisgranada Senior Member

Predpokladám, že to ď sa vyslovuje približne ďö :) ...
  26. lordfrikk Member

It's pronounced only as ď, no other letter after it. It sounds bit of awkward, but I guess that's what it's about.
  27. francisgranada Senior Member

A consonant, per definition, cannot be pronounced "alone" ... But it's absolutely not important from the point of view of the original question itself :) ...
  28. vianie Senior Member

Maximally ď plus schwa. Right now, Francis? :)

And, I do not think it always tries to be cool in a strained way. One can use it handily eg. in informal emails instead of its complete form, as sp. instead of S pozdravem.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  29. lordfrikk Member

I didn't realize you wanted that level of precision, in that case:

[ďə] or [ɟə] (basically what vianie said)
  30. francisgranada Senior Member

Ok, now I think we understand each other perfectly :) ...
  31. Sherpot New Member

Czech language (český jazyk)
    Děkuji is older form than děkuju, i after j was the only right ending of verbs in present form, u after j is also correct today.
    Děkuji-děkuju, miluji-miluju, kupuji-kupuju, etc.
  32. bibax Senior Member

Děkuju is older than děkuji (see "Prague umlaut").