1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Dación en pago - Dation

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Hebe-asteriod, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Hebe-asteriod

Hebe-asteriod Senior Member

Caracas- Venezuela
    Venezuela -Spanish
    Out of all the options I've come across to translate this expression (including those appearing in this excellent forum) I find "assignment in payment" to be the most suitable. I would like to hear the opinion of native English speakers specialized in legal translations.
    Thank you all in advance

2. logoferens Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Sin perjuicio de que los foreros nativos que convocas den su opinión, el vocabulario jurídico del inglés tiene la palabra dation para la española dación; ambas vienen del latín datio, usada en la frase datio in solutum, dar en pago (giving in payment); así, bien podrías utilizar la expresión dation in payment, si no sólo datio.

3. Hebe-asteriod

Hebe-asteriod Senior Member

Caracas- Venezuela
    Venezuela -Spanish
    Un millón de gracias Logoferens.
    Now I know I can use that expression with confidence

4. logoferens Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Rectificación del gazapo: dice '...si no sólo datio', debe decir '...si no sólo dation'.

5. David Senior Member

The word dation en paiement, a French term equiv. to the Spanish dacio en pago, is used in Louisiana, the only civil law jurisdiction in the United States, and presumably is used in European practice. However, the concept is, so far as I know, not used in the common law jurisdictions, and so would be unfamiliar to most practitioners, I think, in the US and GB. However, for documents to be used in Europe, where Anglicization of civil law terminology seems to be proceeding rapidly because of the use of English by the EU, it would probably be understood: whether or not to explain with a T.N. is a matter of judgment, it seems to me. In any event, a "dation en paiement" or "dacio en pago" is the transfer of realty or personalty in lieu of a cash payment, as settlement for a debt. This is very close to an in-kind (i.e., non-cash, but rather goods or services) payment. The translation would, I think, depend on the register of the original: a complex appellate decision might use dation en paiement; a letter to client might require some other translation or amplification.

6. Onkayaks

Onkayaks Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish (Spain)
    The most apt translations with a precise, legal concept would be "deed in lieu of foreclosure".