1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dad

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Cista, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Cista New Member

english
    What nicknames do the British use for dad? Would popie be appropriate? Does it even matter, as people make up their own endearing names

2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I haven't heard of Popie, but as Cista says that doesn't mean that nobody uses it. Pop or Pops is quite common for Dad or Granddad.

3. Cista New Member

english
    Thanks so much. I'm writing a screenplay that takes place in England. I have another question if you wouldn't mind? Do the high schools have what we call in the states Student Councils, in which the students elect another student to represent them?

4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Nobody minds another question, but we prefer (indeed, require) that each topic be in its own thread. That makes it possible to find topics by thread titles - someone looking for student councils would skip a thread whose title is "dad" - and ensures that, once a thread is found, everything in it is relevant to its topic.

Chances are that one of our vigilant moderators will split this part of the thread off into a new one, perhaps then also deleting this post as no longer relevant. You can expedite the process by clicking the "Alert a Moderator" button to the right of the post number on the previous post and explaining what you would like done.

5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    A lot of people say "old man" (even if he's not old) or take the last letter off "dad" and have "daa" (which is slang where I am from), but that's not UK-wide. I'd just go with 'dad' as anything else might not sound normal, and it's something everyone uses.

Pop/popie just sounds awful to me, like what a really rich child would say, that talks so differently to how any normal child would speak.