1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dall'uomo, per l'uomo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by crissie81, Sep 13, 2013.

1. crissie81 New Member

Italian
    Hi Guys,

I'm translating from Italian to English the following sentence:

Un prodotto che rispecchia la cultura e il gusto italiano, realizzato dall’uomo per l’uomo.
    A product that reflects the Italian culture and style, made by man for man.

Honestly, I'm not very sure about the second part: made by man for man

Any suggestion?
    Thanks you!

2. Rob625

Rob625 Senior Member

Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    I suggest:
    A product that reflects the Italian culture and style, made by men for men.

If you use the singular "man" it sounds to me as though you are saying "by man (and not by nature, or by computer or by machine); whereas I think you want to say that it is by and for adult male humans.

3. crissie81 New Member

Italian

Thank you!
    and sorry for my late reply...
    The product is not "only for male" humans as everyone can benefit from its use.
    the meaning is more general, made by men (the ones that designs and projects this product) to other people... So not for sure by nature or machine.
    hope this can clarify the general meaning of this sentence,
    thank you!!!

4. bearded man

bearded man Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Forse 'made by persons for other persons'.
    Però penso che anche 'made by man for man' possa andare bene, perché credo che -usato in questo modo - man voglia proprio dire 'human being'. Un partecipante di lingua inglese potrebbe confermarlo.

5. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    If this is a product targeted toward both men and women, I would strongly recommend not using "made by man for man," as an advertising slogan.
    Apart from the fact that it does not sound good in English, it eliminates half of your target audience.
    The word you might need is "human" but it's hard to put it into that sentence, without knowing a bit more. Can you give us a hint about the type of product?

6. bearded man

bearded man Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    I see your point, joan, but don't you think that 'made by humans for humans' would horribly remind everybody of some science-fiction novel where (no matter what the product is) we prefer humans to aliens..?

7. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    No, I did not suggest that. The whole phrase will probably have to be rewritten. It doesn't sound like English, much less like an attractive advertising slogan. Let's wait to hear more from crissie.