Danish: Culinary and Regional Specialties

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Ari09, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Ari09 Junior Member

Hi everybody,
    I need to translate the expression "Culinary and Regional Specialties" into Danish. I wonder if "Gastronomiske og regionale specialiteter" sounds right. What do you think?
    Thank you in advance!
  2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

The English original is quite peculiar. It contains two adjectives that look at the first glance as two juxtaposed, mutially excluding categories, which they are not. You can't divide the body of Specialties into a culinary type and a regional type. A Specialty can be both culinary and regional at the same time.
  3. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Ben -yes, but what if the "regional" does not pertain to food, but e.g. beverages? Then it would make sense.
  4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

For me such a pair of adjectives sounds like:
    "Musical and international encounters" (That is two different kinds to choose between, not denoting the same thing).
    "Exclusive and maritime food"
    "Ladies' and winter clothes"
    "Historical and pocket books".
  5. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Yes, I agree with you. These things come in pairs. However, "Gastronomiske og regionale specialiteter" is not a good translation anyway. It is better to say "kulinariske og regionale specialiteter"
  6. bicontinental Senior Member

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I don’t know what you’re translating, and I agree with Ben Jamin and NYC that the English phrase seems a little strange at least without further context. Are you sure that the ‘and’ is supposed to be there… rather than a comma? “Culinary, regional specialties” would make more sense to me, in which case you could use the Danish word ‘egnsretter’(literally, regional dishes): “Danske egnsretter”, maybe “Danske (kulinariske) specialiteter og egnsretter.”

But that may be reading too much into it, so without further context I would go ahead and use the translation provided by NYC in post #5.

7. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    Could anyone tell me which of these specialties - food or beverage - regional or general Danish - are not culinary?

I'd say, no matter how you look at it, the source text does not really make sense. So how should the translation be any better?