Danish: pronunciation of the word "ting"

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by TheGist, Oct 17, 2013.

1. TheGist Senior Member

I looked up the word "ting" in Den Danske Ordbog and the pronunciation it gives for this word seemed strange to me:
    I wonder if this is a mistake, because I thought "ng" was supposed to be pronounced as [ŋ].

I then looked in the wiktionary and it says:
    So do you pronounce this word with "ng" [ŋ]-sound or with "n" [n]-sound?

2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Go to the page of text-to-speech company IVONA, choose a Danish speaker, and write in "ting" and "ten". Listen.
  3. TheGist Senior Member

:confused: You must have misunderstood my question. :)
  4. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish

IVONA gives a very fine pronounciation of both words. What else do you want?
  5. bicontinental Senior Member

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Pronunciations may vary among native speakers, as I’ m sure you know, but even so I’d say that [ˈtenˀ] is not correct. The Danish ‘ng’ sound in ‘en ting’ (a thing) is pronounced [ŋ] and this is also the way you'll hear it pronounced if you type in the word on IVONA, as Ben Jamin suggested above. Another useful pronunciation resource is FORVO. It is interesting that the word ‘et ting’, (the equivalent of a council), different gender, but spelled and pronounced the same way as ‘en ting’, is transcribed phonetically as [ˈteŋˀ], http://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?select=ting,2&query=ting . That’s the pronunciation I’d use for both words.

6. TheGist Senior Member

Thanks, bicontinental! That's what I wanted to know. I knew there was something wrong. But I thought, maybe it can be pronounced this way, too, depending on the sense of the word.

I wasn't aksing how to pronounce the word "ten". "[ˈtenˀ]" is a phonetic transcription of the word "ting" provided in Den Danske Ordbog, and as bicontinental pointed out it doesn't seem to be correct.
  7. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    I was aware of that, but basically one reads teh phonetic transcripiton to know how a word is pronounced, right. And since all three words exist: "et ting", "en ting" and en ten - and none of the three have anything to do with each other except that two of them have identical pronounciations, I fond the reference to IVONA very relevant.