Danish: salted caramel heart

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Riveritos, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Riveritos Senior Member

Italy
    Spanish
    Hello,
    I have this Chocolate soufflé with salted caramel heart and need to translate the name into Danish.
    5426038948_da75df42c9_b.jpg
    Is this description correct?
    Chokolade soufflé med saltet karamel hjerte

Does anybody have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance

2. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Your translation looks fine to me. I assume that 'heart' refers to the center of the cake, i.e. that it refers to a caramel fillling rather than a heart made of caramel? If that's the case you could also just say, Chokolade soufflè med saltet karamel fyld. (But I guess your version is more appropriate for Valentine's Day:))
    Bic.

3. jette(DK) Junior Member

Copenhagen
    Danish
    I would definitely spell 'chokoladesoufflé' in one single word and likewise for 'karamelfyld'.

I would not say 'saltet', but salt.

Hjerte is tricky! Given the Valentine's context this quite unusual phrasing might pass. One could create a pun leaning on the phrase 'et hjerte af guld' (a heart of gold, describing an extremely GOOD, kind, generous person):

Chokolodesoufflé med et hjerte af salt karamel

But still, the 'hjerte' sounds odd! I think my best shot would be:

Chokolodesoufflé med salt karamelfyld

4. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Switzerland
    Swedish
    I see I ended up with the same suggestion over at the Swedish thread.
    But may I ask: isn't this type of filling usually made with salted butter, also in Denmark?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  5. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual

Hi Jette,

I appreciate the reminder that compound nouns are written as one word in Danish...

I wouldn’t change ‘saltet’ to ‘salt’, though. I don’t know this particular recipe, I don’t even know if the filling tastes salty, but the English name of the recipe uses the word ‘salted’, i.e. the past participle of 'to salt/at salte'. "Saltet' is, of course, a reference to the action of having added salt whereas the adjective ‘salt’ typically is a reference to the taste. The two are semantically related, but are not necessarily synonymous. In this case the English name indicates that it is a caramel filling to which salt has been added in some form or another (salted butter?), akin to these: http://spiseliv.dk/opskrift/chokoladekage-i-fire-lag-med-saltet-karamel and http://www.boligliv.dk/mad/bagning/banankage-med-saltet-karamel/

If on the other hand the filling was made from the product 'saltkaramel' I would use ‘…med saltkaramel-fyld’.
    Bic.