1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Danish: Translation of "Er det noget med..."?

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Amphitryo, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Amphitryo New Member

English - US
    Hej,

In the song "Lidt for Lidt" by Thomas Holm, the chorus goes:

Er det noget med vi sku' have været lykkelige
    Er det noget med vi sku' have været for altid
    Er vi nået til det sted hvor ingen veje fører hjem
    Er det noget med at vi har elsket hinanden lidt for lidt

What is the translation of "Er det noget med..."? I know it literally means "Is this something with...", but that leads to an ungrammatical English translation that makes no sense: "Is this something with we should have been happy." I'm pretty confused about the grammar here. Could someone please help?

Tak!

2. Kadabrium Junior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    I'd understand it as ''why can't...''

3. Amphitryo New Member

English - US
    Thanks! That's very helpful! So, "Er det noget med vi sku' have været lykkelige" could be translated as "Why couldn't we have been happy"?

But this translation doesn't work for the last line. I know he's saying, "Have we loved each other too little", but if "Er det noget med" is translated as "Why can't", then the sentence ends up as, "Why can't that we have loved each other too little". Doesn't make sense.

4. Billebob

Billebob Junior Member

I would translate it into "Has it got something to do with ..", e.g. "Has it got something to do with (the fact) that we should have been .."

Edit: You could argue that "Is it because .." would work for this as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. Amphitryo New Member

English - US
    Thanks!!!

6. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Billebob gave you a good explanation above, but I’ll just add that the expression implies that there’s a connection with something or somebody, ‘Er det noget med at…’/’Er der noget om at…’

This is (of course) similar to the English expression, Does it have something/anything to do (…with the fact that we should have been happy…that we should have been [together] forever etc.)
    Bic.