1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Danke vill mol für all diä liäbä glückwünsch! (colloquial spelling)

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Gavril, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    In informal online contexts, do German speakers commonly use phonetic spellings (i.e., spellings that more accurately reflect their dialect) rather than the spellings of standard written German?

I have a Facebook friend from Switzerland who tends to use a very colloquial orthography in her posts: e.g.,

Danke vill mol für all diä liäbä glückwünsch!

which, in standard spelling, I think would be

Danke viel mal für all die lieben Glückwünsch!

Is it especially common for Swiss German speakers to use dialectal spelling in their online conversation, or does it happen equally often in all German-speaking regions?

Thanks for any info

2. lingpil

lingpil Senior Member

Lisboa
    German & Russian
    I wouldn't say this is very common. Maybe the people from Switzerland use it indeed more often, since they have another standard (spoken) language then Germans. But in fact everywhere in the German speaking area you learn the same written standard at school with only little differences between Germany, Austria and Switzerland (like the lack of the "ß" in the Swiss standard). If you actually want to write a longer text in a dialect you have more or less to invent the spelling, since there aren't fixed rules for it (though there are even Wikipedias in some German dialects), but the point is that you don't learn this spelling at school and dialects can have slight differences even from village to village. Depending on how colloquial you want to be, it's up to you to decide what you're going to write.
    I'd say such a form of personal greetings is usually limited to single sentences like in your example.

3. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    Why would someone write "diä" and "liäbä" instead of "die" and "liebe"? Does different spelling indicate different pronunciation or is it a matter of personal liking?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I don't know much about Swiss German, but I'm guessing that "diä liäbä" is an attempt to spell the words as they are actually pronounced in this person's dialect.

On other Facebook posts, the same person has written things like du bisch (standard du bist, I think), wer chunnt (standard wer kommt?), etc.

5. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    I think it's typically Swiss because they distinguish between standard Swiss German and dialect very strictly. It's almost like two languages. And they feel less inhibited to write in dialect.

In German German writing in dialect is a rare thing. You do it just for fun, or sometimes it's just a short slogan like "Mia san mia".

6. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Frank is right. The German speaking part of Switzerland is diglossic with rather a strict separation between the standard and the dialectal register. Like in many other areas, it is strongly frowned upon using the dialect register in very formal contexts. But contrary to most other areas it is equally strongly frowned upon NOT using dialect in colloquial context.

7. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Of course. Swiss German has a completely different vowel system than German. "iä" is a diphthong, [iæ].

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  8. Glockenblume Senior Member

France
    Deutsch (Hochdeutsch und "Frängisch")
    Sometimes I write some sentences in my dialect (franconian), too - it's just for fun. ...waal's hold Spass mächd*

And you can buy some books in different dialects.
    There is for instance a nice little booklet about the story of "Max und Moritz" with every episode translated in another dialect (editor: Reclam-Verlag). If you are interested in the theme, I can recommend it.

*weil es halt Spass macht