1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dans un délai de 8 jours à compter de l'embauche

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by delphine1, Nov 22, 2006.

1. delphine1 Senior Member

Beijing, China
    French - France
    Hello,

Could someone help me translate this phrase ?

The hole sentence is: "Si la personne n'est pas encore immatriculé à la Sécurité Sociale, l'employeur doit le demander dans un délai de 8 jours à compter de la date d'embauche"

My try : If that person is not already registered at the Sécurité Sociale, the employeur should ask for it within 8 days since the first employment day.

What do you think about it ? Any help would be really appreciated !

2. Kat LaQ Senior Member

NY, NY
    English, USA
    Assuming that the "le" refers to the clause " immatriculé à la Sécurité Sociale":

"If the person/individual has not yet registered with Social Security, the employer must request that they do so within 8 days of when they were hired."

I'm not sure if the employer has to ask for the SS registration or the employer has to ask the employee to ask for the SS registration. My translation assumes the latter.

3. delphine1 Senior Member

Beijing, China
    French - France
    Thanks for your answer. :)

Actually, it is the employer that should ask the SS for his employee registration. So your sentence won't do, right ? So do you have any idea of how i could say that ?

4. Kat LaQ Senior Member

NY, NY
    English, USA
    "If the person is not yet registered with Social Security, the employer must make the request to Social Security within 8 days of when the person is hired."

It's a little vague because I don't know exactly what the employer asks for - I guess they ask that the person be registered? It just seems weird that the person doesn't do it himself.

5. Suebethi Senior Member

in France
    USA
    Hi,
    I'd say...
    "If the person is not yet registered with the Securite Sociale, then the employer must apply for his/her registration within 8 days of hiring the individual.

6. delphine1 Senior Member

Beijing, China
    French - France
    Thanks a lot ! That fits really well with the rest of the text !
    Actually, the employer should ask for the person to be registered because it's the employer who pays the social security contribution for his employees (part of the fees employers have to pay). Is it clearer?

Thanks again !

PS : I haven't seen the other answer before posting this ! Thank you too !

7. Newangle Senior Member

Normandy, France
    English, France
    Just to get one of my obsessions off my chest, the English for "8 jours" is "a week". The French include the starting day in their count, but in English we count from the next day. Same thing for "une quinzaine" of course - "2 weeks" or "a fortnight".

So "dans un délai de 8 jours" can only be something like "within a week" in English, in my opinion.