1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dar el pésame/condolences

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by MSanchezC, Sep 12, 2007.

1. MSanchezC Senior Member

Hi everybody,
    In the Wordreference dictionary, I found:

pésame m condolences (en pl): fuimos a darle el pésame, we went to offer him our condolences
    nuestro más sentido pésame, our deepest sympathies

But how is the common or colloquial way to say it?? this situation is a hard to bear moment and I don´t want to sound harsh or rough.

Thanks in advance!

2. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Without knowing the situation, it's hard to say what would be appropriate....

If you mean that you're going to be speaking directly to an acquaintance whose loved one has died, a more informal way of expressing sympathy might be I'm so sorry for your loss.

3. Kibramoa

Kibramoa Senior Member

Deep South, U.S.A.
    Spanish - MX
    Me parece que jinti lo expresó bien. I'm sorry for your loss, es lo que se dice comunmente cuando hablas con la persona.
    El simple hecho de ir a acompañar a la persona en estos momentos difíciles se toma mucho en cuenta. Dí lo que te salga del corazón.
    :)

4. MSanchezC Senior Member

And if I want to post in a newspaper the obituary? How would it be?
    "We offer condolences...."
    "We are sorry for his/her/their loss..."

5. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Perhaps:

It is with great sorrow/sadness that we announce the passing/death of [name here].

6. pilipina Senior Member

NW United States
    English & filipino dialect
    Corporate settings, "Please join us as we express our sympathy and grieve the loss of the Johnson family's oldest son, Christian." e.g. Church or funeral services, "Please join us in celebrating the life and death of the Johnson family's oldest son Christian, as he goes to be with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (Slightly more hopeful wording than the general population uses.) Also, cards may say: Please accept our condolences as we join you in grieving your loss. In person, "I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help..." That would be a natural sentence that might follow...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012